Cooking out.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Apr 11, 2012.

1. charcoal grill

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. propane grill

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. outside brick oven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. over a wood fire in a fire pit

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. other

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I prefer cooking out on a charcoal grill. I don't think food cooked on a propane grill has the same wonderful flavour of food cooked on a charcoal grill. I know some prefer propane because it's easier and quicker to start and get up to temp. I have a good, old fashioned Weber Kettle grill. I don't think I'll ever own a propane grill. What do you use or prefer when cooking out.

2. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Charcoal is better tasting, but propane's quicker. We normally do charcoal when we have the time, but that's pretty rare.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I typically start the charcoal grill then go in the house and make the hamburgers or prepare what ever meat I'm cooking while the coals heat. Maybe chop a salad, etc. You must learn to multitask. :p

4. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I use charcoal at home. But camping everything is over the fire.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Always lump charcoal for me. If you use briquittes, you are paying for 30% sand. Weber grills are the best for the money imho. When you are done just shut down the air and use the left over charcoal next time. Would like a big green egg one day.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Those Big Green Eggs are the cat's pajamas!!

I have a little Weber and I totally agree about the value...

I use propane simply because it's easier and quicker...good ol' clean burning C3H8!! :D

When it's something special, it goes in the egg...:cool:

7. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I always use charcoal, if I wanted to cook with gas u would just use the gas stove in the house.

8. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I smoke with hickory or oak in a smoker.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Nobody uses electric?
    :p

I have a lil charcoal grill made by the boys up at Parchman prison. It is remarkably well welded and put together; i wonder how many shivs they got made in the process.

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Hickory for anything but oak for my brisket.

11. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Gello, I really don't know what your interest in this thread would be. You have stated that besides sushi you are pretty much a vegaterian. Electric would be fine on woody vegtables.:):):):)

downloadfile-102.jpg

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Got a propane and a real charcoal grill. One for speed, one for flavor. I save the prunings from the apple orchard, run them thru the chipper, add to charcoal.

Of course, you left out charred over a burning chunk of C4 explosive......:p

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

How do the neighbors like your cookouts? :D:p

I prefer charcoal, but if we are in a hurry, we'll use a George Foreman. :D

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Roastin' ears, grilled asparagus, etc. Actually, the electric outdoor grill is at Mom's; she likes to cook outside sometimes to keep her kitchen cooler. They have a charcoal grill too for when they want to use it (when my sis brings home some meat from MSU). Of course, i do grill some fish & the occasional steak or some sausages; i'm just not the one eating them. :)

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Grilled asperagus is the bomb. Drizzle olive oil and season with garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Let sit for awhile. Put directly over coals and the olive oil drips and flames lick the asperagus. Just enough to put a little char on it. Remove to far side of grill for indirect finish of about 5 min. Outstanding!

16. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I prefer my Weber kettle for outdoor cooking. If just cooking for the wife and me...we'll use the cast iron skillet on the gas stove. I have had a few different propane grills...and don't care for them.

17. downsouth

downsouth New Member

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have two webers one is a smokey mountain cooker and the other is one of those charcoal grills that uses a propane burner to start the charcoal. the only thing propane is good for.

cooking with propane gives the meat an off wierd taste. worse than using the broiler in the oven