cooking on an engine?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by savageshooter1997, Nov 22, 2012.

1. savageshooter1997

savageshooter1997 New Member

I was thinkibg how convenient it would be if i could use my engine to cook myself a hot lunch for when im hunting and i was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The biggest trick is finding a nice flat surface.

You likely aren't going to be frying bacon and eggs, but you can heat some leftovers to a palatable temperature in the engine compartment.

Oh, beware the possible hazards of exhausts and... Just weird stuff getting into your food. I would recommend a microwave safe closed container.

3. paintsplat

paintsplat New Member

When I was in the Air Force we had what they called armored personal carriers (peace keepers) the story on those are for another thread, any ways, we would get foil packs, basically tv dinners, we would put them on the engine and heat them up, they would get nice and hot.

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Several years ago I was on a cross country trip with a highschool friend. We stopped by a creek in Idaho, and dropped a line in. She wound up catching a good sized rainbow trout, and she was trying to figure out how we were going to cook it while we were on the road. After cleaning it, I pulled out some aluminum foil, some lemon pepper, and some garlic salt. I seasoned it, wrapped it in foil, and layed it on the intake manifold of my truck. We drove three hours to our planned stop for the night, and I pulled the fish out of the engine bay. 3 hours at 190 degrees = One of the best maels I have ever had on the road! I did a venison roast this way once. I made the mistake of telling the others how it was cooked, (4 hour drive from western NY to Pittsburg) and no one in my wife's family would touch it. Worked out great for the wife, her daughter, and myself, because not only was it to die for, it was ALL ours.;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- have done that. Double wrapped in foil, on the flat of the exhaust manifold. Slow cooked for about 3 hrs. Hobo dinner- pork chop, potato slices, onion, salt & pepper

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have put canned good on the engine before I went into to the woods. They weren't hot when I came back but they were warm and a lot better than just laying on the seat.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

There is an entire cookbook about engine cooking, its called "manifold destiny"

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Yep. Make sure to double wrap the foil.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You can get extra heavy aluminum foil for engine bay cooking, I used to do it all the time. The simplest way to do it is get a frozen burrito and wrap it in foil, place on the intake for about 30 minutes or so and check it. You can get the cookbook too. I just saw a Mythbusters yesterday where Adam and Jamie with the help of Alton Brown cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal in the engine bay of a car. Everything turned out except the gravy, but they called that soup and it still made the meal just under a different name.

10. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Heavy duty Aluminum foil is your friend.

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I did this once when I drove OTR for Swift flatbed. I was at a shipper in Exeter PA and my load wasn't ready, I couldn't leave to go get something to eat and my lighter for my folding campstove stopped working. I planned on eating a can of great northern beans and getting a soft drink from a coke machine nearby in the shippers office.

I put my beans in the pan and put the pan on top of my truck's Detroit series 60 engine. Plenty of flat space but the vibrating engine caused the pan to move around and fall off unless I stood there and held it. It works but takes awhile, it started raining so I ended up eating luke warm beans.

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Used to heat the C Rats on our M151A2 Jeep Manifolds often, pop a hole in it if its gonna be there long, I had spaghetti blow all over the engine...

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Bet everybody got hungry when that Jeep was around after that!:D

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

My dad told me that some of thier trucks, 2-1/2 trucks and Chevy pickups and humvees, had a holder made specifically to hold a tin can on the manifold.

15. rurak

rurak New Member

I used to snowmobile a lot and we had a conatiner specifically made to hook onto the engine. It was made for steaming hot dogs and damn it worked good.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i tried it once, but it tasted like gasoline when it was done!:eek:

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just ordered Manifold Destiney, Diesel Dining, and The Roadkill Cookbook for my wife's Christmas presents. The funny part is, she told me that is what she wants this year! Seriously, she has stopped on 5 different occasions to ask the person who hit the deer if they were going to keep it. Guess i taught her right.:D