Cooking Bison

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Zombiegirl, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I keep a cooking page on FB for a hobby. I know that a lot of you cook and eat different meats. A friend of the page (and a friend from childhood) has asked for tips or ideas for cooking bison. Does anyone have any info that I can share with him? He has never made it before. Thanks in advance!!

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Depends on the cut, usually like cooking beef.

http://www.bisonbasics.com/recipes.html

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Don't over due it. Imo its basically a less tasty beef.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I've never had it so unfortunately I can't help him...

6. SpentBrass

SpentBrass New Member

Just like any other wild game animal, trim off all the fat. Substitute wild game fat with beef or pork fat for moisture. Bison is very tasty when ground up with beef fat. Without the fat added, it is very lean and it gets dry very fast. Store bought bison should be mixed with fatty beef. Bison steaks are very tasty when marinated in an olive oil based marinade.

Let me know what he is wanting to do with the meat, and I can offer great suggestions.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Bison??? TATONKA!!!! Sheesh...get it right...:D

Attached Files:

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Soak it in whole milk overnight in the fridge before cooking. And don't overcook it! It is like beef but done quicker. YOU DO NOT WANT WELL DONE WILD MEAT!!! It dries out and becomes inedible.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I marinate it in something oily, Italian dressing, or olive oil with vinegar and garlic or whatever. Anyone that says don't overcook it probably has- its easy to do.

10. steve666

steve666 New Member

Basically it's a leaner, drier version of beef. You certainly don't want to over cook it. Most of the larger cuts are better braised than roast. You can do steaks but certainly nothing over Medium and preferably Medium Rare. If making a stew you will need to cook it long and slow to be tender.

11. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

it really depends on the thickness of the portion (be it steaks or hamburger)..............you want to cook it about HALF the time that you would cook beef anything...

there is little to no marbling in the steak cuts, so low to mid-grade heat and NO WELL DONE (medium is almost too long...pink in middle), or it'll be "well done" for the dog only. :(

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Bison.......

Jerkey, and more jerkey, plus it keeps with out refrigeration. And you can share it with your pet cat or dog. :)

13. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Buffalo Burgers grilled :)

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

How would he got about making it into jerky?

Thank you all for the great tips for him!!

15. tri70

tri70 New Member

Grill it over a small fire of briquettes or small pieces of oak, add Cavender's seasoning, it's good on everything!:D

16. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I personally prefer to cook bison over pecan wood.

When smoking bison I use a water smoker so you can cook longer to get that good tender meat, but it doesnt dry out nearly as fast.

17. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Excellent...one of the best scenes from Dances with Wolves!!