Convinced me into a over-under

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Rugers9, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I'm thinking to get a pump for bird hunting but convince me if an over-under or double barrel is better?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I prefer pump or auto.

3. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I think I would to but I see an over-under and I just want it

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're dead set on it get it.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

LOL OK You answered your own question. They are sweet, and classic. Over/Under it should be then.

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

shoot one and compair

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

No question about it, get the over/under. The gun will feel more lively as the balance is between the hands as opposed to more weight out forward as in an auto or pump. The double in side by side or over/under is the classic bird gun. I would never be caught using anything else. It would be uncivilized.
    cottontop

8. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I guess that gives me a reason to get 2 guns a pump for HD and a over-under or side by side for hunting.

9. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I've hunted ducks and pheasant with a semit auto and an o/u...I love the o/u for upland game birds because of the tradition and style...but for ducks..being in the swamps with chest high water...synthetic auto all day long..

10. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I like the way you think!

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have done most of my bird hunting with pump guns. I like to take the O/U out for dove or quail. I've had several pump guns and none match the feel that my Weatherby has to the shoulder and following through with the swing. The reason I bought it in the first place was that it just fell in place perfectly when I shouldered it at the gun store. Fit is king. I've just never spent time to get any other gun to fit like the O/U does.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Double gives you the choice of 2 chokes and handles much better than a pump or auto. Great for upland game. The pump/auto is good for ducks, geese and turkeys. Get both if you can. Get a switch barrel in the pump. If you can only get one, get the pump as it is more versatile.