Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking to get a pump for bird hunting but convince me if an over-under or double barrel is better?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would to but I see an over-under and I just want it

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
LOL OK You answered your own question. They are sweet, and classic. Over/Under it should be then.

C

·
0 Posts
No question about it, get the over/under. The gun will feel more lively as the balance is between the hands as opposed to more weight out forward as in an auto or pump. The double in side by side or over/under is the classic bird gun. I would never be caught using anything else. It would be uncivilized.
cottontop

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cottontop said:
No question about it, get the over/under. The gun will feel more lively as the balance is between the hands as opposed to more weight out forward as in an auto or pump. The double in side by side or over/under is the classic bird gun. I would never be caught using anything else. It would be uncivilized.
cottontop
I guess that gives me a reason to get 2 guns a pump for HD and a over-under or side by side for hunting.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've hunted ducks and pheasant with a semit auto and an o/u...I love the o/u for upland game birds because of the tradition and style...but for ducks..being in the swamps with chest high water...synthetic auto all day long..

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have done most of my bird hunting with pump guns. I like to take the O/U out for dove or quail. I've had several pump guns and none match the feel that my Weatherby has to the shoulder and following through with the swing. The reason I bought it in the first place was that it just fell in place perfectly when I shouldered it at the gun store. Fit is king. I've just never spent time to get any other gun to fit like the O/U does.

·
Premium Member
14,212 Posts
Double gives you the choice of 2 chokes and handles much better than a pump or auto. Great for upland game. The pump/auto is good for ducks, geese and turkeys. Get both if you can. Get a switch barrel in the pump. If you can only get one, get the pump as it is more versatile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts