Firearms Talk banner

Convicted felon and guns

14K views 124 replies 44 participants last post by  Patrick Sperry 
#1 ·
Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownershp?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.

#2 ·
Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownership?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.
Indeed. You already have the answer to your own question. ;)

Jack

#4 ·
There are some things that a felon can do to get their 2A rights back. But it costs a lot of money, with a high failure rate. Best advise is to talk to an attorney.

#6 ·
Im not a felon but i lost my right to possess a firearm for about 3 yrs for violating a court order. I had to hire a lawyer and get my case dismissed under penal code 1835 which is a total dismissal . For the three yrs I could not possess firearms I discovered black powder firearms because on a federal level i could legally own a black powder pistol because the feds do not consider them fire arms. On a state level I probabley would have been screwed but I was not about to live in my house without some kind of weapon available. I now own about a dozen modern day firearms but my black powder pistol is still my favorite.

#9 ·
I don't know about other states, but here in Texas you can own a flintlock replica, just like the muskets in the old, old days. I believe Traditions makes some that you can put together your self for only about $200-400 and they are supposed to be fairly simple for the average person to do, as long as you know how to stain wood and read instructions.

#10 ·
The only person I know who got his record expunged through the courts with an attorney is a older gent (64 Y.O. now) who had a felony DUI 18 to 20 years ago. He was never in trouble before his DUI conviction and has not been in any trouble since; not even a parking ticket. It took him almost a year and a half and a fair amount of money on his part for attorney fees and court costs. His record was expunged and he could finally have his hunting rifles back that his son kept all this time. He then went to purchase a new handgun and there was a hang up or delay for about 6 months before his DROS form background check was approved for purchase. I'm not sure exactly what he went through to get cleared to purchase this pistol but I do know it was frustrating for him. He hunts now in California and Colarado and he figures in another 5 to 6 years from now he will give / transfer his firearms back to his son as he has the onset of arthuritis and it's getting more and more difficult for him every year to get out and hunt with his friends.

#11 ·
No,I'm not a felon,but a family member(not BLOOD RELATED) is.
My dad and I have been shooting together and other members of the family have shown interest.
Some we would welcome and have already talked about inviting,word got out to the not so welcome and he told my dad all he needed was a letter from his PO to be allowed to shoot.
I told him he wasn't shooting with me even if his PO was there in person.

#12 ·
No,I'm not a felon,but a family member(not BLOOD RELATED) is.
My dad and I have been shooting together and other members of the family have shown interest.
Some we would welcome and have already talked about inviting,word got out to the not so welcome and he told my dad all he needed was a letter from his PO to be allowed to shoot.
I told him he wasn't shooting with me even if his PO was there in person.
If he is a convicted felon and on parole or probation there is no note in the world from his parole / probation officer or god himself that will allow him to even be in close vicinity of a firearm. Don't let this guy con your family members or friends with a "note" that he can. Any note he produces will be something he forged himself or had forged.

#13 ·
Until a COURT has granted relief from disabilities, or the governor has restored his civil rights, SPECIFICALLY including right to own a firearm, it is gone. SOME states (Georgia is one) have a tighter restriction than the Feds, and will not permit a convicted felon to possess a muzzleloader. BTW, for those that CAN possess a muzzleloader, it better be a percussion cap or flintlock type. Felons may not possess ammunition- and the 209 primer is considered ammo.

And yes, I have a stepbrother, that as a result of a youthful indiscretion, is a great bow hunter.

Gents, this is a serious legal matter- and I never passed the bar (always stopped off for a beer, never passed :rolleyes:) and anyone that asks ME for legal advice needs their head examined. This is one that needs a REAL lawyer that practices in THIS FIELD. Penalty for being wrong is 5 years of playing Rock Hockey at a Federal Pen. No probation, no parole, no concurrent sentence thing.

#15 ·
How many believe this is a violation of the second amendment as read by the constitution. I think it is a total violation of the 2nd,but I believe some should not own weapons.
I think with all my internet lawyer knowledge (read as, worthless opinion) that this is totally the mentality that allowed gun law restrictions in the first place. The constitution did not name any exceptions to the 2A, therefore anyone of any age pretty much can and should be able to own "arms". Logic permits that the minority of society who has proven they are not trustworthy should not own arms but the founders did not specifically include that in 2A, although they may have in another section, I don't pretend to be an expert, I am always learning more about our founders and the constitution.

#16 ·
Well, unlike C3, I did pass the bar once. It was not well lit, so I had to turn around and go back.

The Founding Fathers believed in Liberty and Freedom. However, a simple review of history would show that they did not believe in universal rights to all citizens. Women's sufferage is the greatest example (why did they screw that up? - just kidding). Jefferson believed that only land-owning males should be allowed to vote (maybe we should re-think that one too!).

So it is not hard to believe that the Founding Fathers would have agreed that persons convicted of serious crimes should not have the full benefits of other citizens.

#18 ·
I knew a guy that killed a man with his vehicle due to DUI. He was in jail for 5 years for Man Slaughter. It has been 2 years since he was released from prison. He can drive now, owns a car. but can't own a gun. Never had a problem with a gun it was a beer and car. Why can he drive but not shoot? I think thats STUPID!

#19 · (Edited)
I personally know of one man who managed to get a felony conviction for involuntary manslaughter (a civilian self defense shooting). His sentence was time served and years (I don't remember how many) of probation. During the probation time he switched to black powder revolvers and shotguns:eek:. It was legal within the letter of the law (but maybe not the spirit). Laws change and are different from state to state, talk to a lawyer in your area for current laws.
As a footnote, it took him many more years and dollars. but he finally got a pardon and now is a CCW again.

#21 ·
Twice in my lifetime I have had to defend my family and myself from home invaders. The scumbags had felony records and they had guns. I think it is a good thing that felons are not allowed to own guns: They get no sympathy from me.
Not all scumbags have felony convictions, as all bad guys are not behind bars.Some scumbags have no record as they haven't been caught yet. Each case should be judged on their own merits.Just goes to show you that anyone, regardless of a felony conviction or not, can get a gun...

#23 ·
Yep, they can. No reason to legalize possession of guns by felons though.
On the other hand, if we can trust certain convicted felons with release, then why not let them have a gun? If they cant be trusted to legally own a weapon, then why are we letting them out?

#25 ·
On the other hand, if we can trust certain convicted felons with release, then why not let them have a gun? If they cant be trusted to legally own a weapon, then why are we letting them out?

"We" are letting them out because the political pukes we elected say that due to prison overcrowding they have to let violent felons go. Got to make room for kids who were convicted of drug possession.

In any event, I'm secure in the fact that convicted felons will not be able to legally buy guns any time soon.

#26 ·
"We" are letting them out because the political pukes we elected say that due to prison overcrowding they have to let violent felons go. Got to make room for kids who were convicted of drug possession.

In any event, I'm secure in the fact that convicted felons will not be able to legally buy guns any time soon.
And I'm secure in the fact that they will still obtain them illegally but its a moot point because I know what will happen to them should they try to enter my home. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.