Converting my Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Rick1967, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Mossberg 500 that was seriously rusted. But it was only on the outside of the barrel. It was mounted on a wall for about 5 years with an evaporative cooler blowing on it. I bought it really cheap. I am going to convert it to a pistol grip and cut down the barrel. Right now the thing is just shy of 50" long. I have already cleaned up the rust with an SOS pad. I purchased the grip and forearm this afternoon. I hope to put it together tonight. I will post some pics later. I am going to cut the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches.

I am still trying to decide how I want to refinish the barrel. I was thinking of using one of those cold blueing kits. Anybody here use one with good results?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have no experience with the do it yourself blueing, but this thread demands pics. Just sayin...:D

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

How bout powder coat or duracoat.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I just put this stock on my 500. If you leave the 6 position stock off you can use it as a pistol grip. Paid $69 for it at Cabelas in Idaho.

Attached Files:

5. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I used the cold blueing on a .410 barrel as a high school shop project. It covered everything okay but I remember it not being very durable. But that was a long time ago so maybe todays stuff is a little tuffer.

6. Rick1967

So far, so good.

Before and after. Not perfect. But definately good for home defense. Now for a finish.

Attached Files:

7. Rick1967

The barrel actually ended up being 19 inches. I wanted to give myself a 1/2" to play with, in case I goofed it up. But it turned out pretty good. I think I can live with it.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you are talking about barrel length, then you gave yourself a full 1".

Thanks for the pics and keep 'em coming. :D

*Edit*

A big thumbs up for making sure you are legal. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  9. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

I cold blued a rusted slug barrel for my mossberg 500, and it turned out real nice. The only problem is that it still smells like the cold blue so its not much use for deer hunting, but I'm guessing that your not all that worried bout deer smelling it since you put a pistol grip on it. Its not like it fills the hole room with the smell, but if you sniff the barrel it smells strongly of cold blue

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Rick that looks great. Thanks for the pics.

11. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

you did a damn good job there. IMO It would also look cool with the wood forend and the wood stock sawn off. kind of old school PG shotgun.

12. Rick1967

Seriously thought about cutting the wood stock. But I thought I would save it in case I wanted to have a long stock later.

I just got back from the range. Tina finaly has her own gun that she picked out herself. It is a S&W airweight 22 mag. I am not a big 22 guy. But she has developed arthritis in her right thumb. She doesn't want to shoot anything with any real recoil. I would rather she practice and become proficient with a 22 mag, than to carry around a 38 that she has never shot.

The Mossberg is Devstating at 15 yards. I put 00 Buck in it. Just devistating. It has its place in the bedroom closet.

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Glad to hear your boom stick is operational.