converting marlin 60 stock

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Kdub, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I've been looking for a ramline folding stock for my 60. I'm having trouble finding a used one. Anyone know of a manufacturer that builds a stock with a folding butt stock?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

on another forum i am on another member posted about the same question. as far as i know there isn't one available for the M60, but someone suggested that one was made like that for Marlin M795 that could be modified to work. you might want to check into and see.

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The Ramline model 70 Lockarm and Folder were made for the Marlin 70HC/other variants...it was the papa of the 795.

For a newer Marlin 795 to go into a Ramline Folder or Lockarm stock, you haveta drill a nice big hole for the LSHO lever...
    [​IMG]

To put a Marlin 60 into the same stock, you must find a way to cover the mag-well opening and drill a hole in the forearm for the mag tube...that's it.
    (cover can be cut from a hood from a plastic model car kit...)

The hard part is actually FINDING one...fleabay & other auction sites have to be checked often...

That being said, I'm working on the problem...by saving up enough to purchase a mold for a new Marlin 795/60 tactical folder of my own design.
    Just getting the Biz License & Copyrights & Trademarks filed has been a bizatchie...lol
    Bear in mind, the cost of such a mold runs around $15K, so until the Gov't Grants comes in...it ain't happening anytime soon.
    I've got a deal struck with a local plastics company to produce it as soon as I get a mold....
    Meanwhile...we wait ;)

Other options include the Muzzlelite Bullpup stock (http://www.bullpupgunstocks.com/), they have a specific M-60 version...
    [​IMG]

and the Well P-90 airsoft stock...which is a bargain at around $30
    (ignore the electric tape on the buttstock, its there to hold until the glue sets...LOL)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Any idea when it may go into production? I wouldn't mind waiting of its not too far out. what's the design going to be like? I want a folding stock so I can put it in a bug out bag. Plus it would be cool to support something new up and coming.

5. big shrek

At this point I'm at a standstill...so don't wait on me ;)

6. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I bought a ramline stock off ebay. I'm hoping I don't regret it. Shrek can you give me more details on the best way if covering the mag hole? Assuming I find a nice piece of plastic or whatever how do you go about securing it so it stays there?

7. big shrek

Buy a model car kit that uses black plastic, take the hood & cut it to fit the mag-well opening in place of the old fashioned model 70 magwell...
    the middle rifle shows the magwell piece perfectly...
    [​IMG]

or this pic of a Ramline with a 795 trigger guard in place...if you use a 60-Trigger guard, it'll leave the hole for you to work with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or if you are handy at metalwork...a piece of thin black metal will do...
    heck, you could probably use a piece of Energy drink can that was black...

8. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Ok that helps a lot. I think I can handle that. Thanks for the info!

9. big shrek

Also, this pic, shows where you need to put the oblong hole for the LSHO lever if you're dealing with a newer 60 or 795 (1994+)
    [​IMG]

10. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Thanks for your help Shrek. The build is going great. The stock was pretty beat up. I'm having to jb weld the back lip by the butt stock. It is pretty mangled and won't hold up the back of the receiver. Hopefully ill find out tomorrow if it works. I was wondering where you got that dovetail to picatinny mount? How does it mount on the receiver? I have some picatinny scope ring mounts I would like to use instead of the dovetails. Thanks again for all your help.

11. big shrek

DIP makes the 3/8" accessory rail to Pic rail mount :)
    http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3603

I've got quite a few of their items so far...best Marlin supplier I've found for New Products!! :D

But due to the issues with my 795, I ended up filing the grooved rail so that the Pic Rail would fit...
    took a triangle file with tape on one side and went at it until it was .43" all the way on both sides.
    This is a problem with 2005-2011 Marlin 60 and 795's...random in appearance,
    but often enough that it needs to be checked on every one with 2005-2011 date codes.

Ended up putting that rail on my Marlin 989-M2, as it just looked more appropriate & Tacti-Kewl ;)
    the 795 is wearing Weaver see-thru rings at this time...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  12. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Hey Shrek im having a hell of a hard time with this project. I got it all back together but my problem is once I screw the trigger assembly back in the action won't close. I compared the stock to the original and the only real difference i can see is that the wood stock has raised edges for the action assembly to sit on. I'm thinking when I screw the trigger on it compresses too much and wont allow it to cycle properly. Any ideas? the only think I can think to do is jb weld some groves for the action to sit on, but I don't want to do that unless its my only option. This stock is for a 70 not a 60. does that make a difference other than for the mag tube and lsho lever?

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Take some time and really examine the situation. It could just be a matter of shortening a screw. As far as the jb weld I wouldn't expect that to last you may want to explore bedding options a bit.

14. big shrek

On the original 70, the 60 t/g was used, along with the secondary piece for the magwell opening.

Although, I'm starting to wonder if your stock got bubba'd, because there should be a ledge there to sit the action on.

15. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Just my luck it probably did. I think I'm going to fab some pieces of aluminum and attach them to the inside. I did some prefitting of some 1/8th inch aluminum down the edges and think it should work quite well. Cut to length, file to fit, paint to match!

16. big shrek

Don't forget to take pics...might help some other poor soul along the way :)

17. Kdub

Kdub New Member

For anyone who is following I finished it up. I created a base for the action using a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum about 1 inch by 3/4 inch. I attached it to the inside right side (action side) of the stock which allowed the action to sit on. I tried putting a length down the left side but it pushed the action too far right and created cycling problems. She is all ready to go and waiting to be test ran this weekend. Big thanks to Shrek for all his help and knowledge.

18. c0deater

c0deater New Member

so howd you do that p90?

iw as just wondering how you got the 60 into that p90 airsoft?