Converting existing shotgun to skeet shooting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sausn2002, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I've been posing this question to many people, but I have to ask everyone here what they think.

Can you take an existing 18'' barreled (shortest that is legal) shotgun and convert to a competent Skeet Shooting gun? The shorter than 20 inch barrel would not work for the range, besides my shotgun is designed for tactical application. There are two ways of converting I know of so far. There's getting a choke tube (I think it is adding this to your existing barrel, maybe I'm wrong though), and there's changing the barrel out for a longer one.

I was told by a guy that worked at a local skeet shooting range that it is better just to simply buy a brand new or used shotgun for skeet shooting. That sounds realistic.

If I was to convert my Remington 870 Police Tactical Shotgun, I'd rather add something like the choke tube to extend the existing barrel because it's easier to take off later (if I have that right about this).

Anyways, anyone actually have experience with this and/or have attempted what I'm describing?:confused:

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

A new barrel would be much cheaper than a new shotgun.
    I bought my shotgun with a 28" for 187. My 18.5" security barrel only cost 93 bucks. For under $300, I can hunt a wide variety of animals AND use it to protect myself.

BTW-Not sure why this is in the rifle section. ;)

S.S.

3. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Good advice. I have to see if there is a off brand version for my Remington, because the barrels that Remington sell from their site are in the upper $200s. I think someone told me that Wal-Mart is a good choice for shopping.

4. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

well, for shooting skeet, shotgun shooter has the right idea. a barrel is much cheaper than a shotgun. due to its popularity and similarity to many other shotguns, you can buy a knock off mossberg barrel to go on your 870 instead of paying full price for a remington one. last i checked the aftermarket ones are cheaper. do you actually know how to change tha barrel? and chokes, well, a modified choke would be good for skeet. the same tight pattern used in self defense isn't necessarily the bst choice for skeet shooting.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You should be able to find a used 26" fixed choke, either skeet or improved cylinder, vent rib, 2-3/4" chamber barrel for under $100. It is about as fast to change an 870 barrel as it is to swap choke tubes, because the choke tubes have fine threads.:D

6. WGram3

WGram3 New Member

I purchased an extra barrel for my Ithaca 51, and had screw-in chokes put in it... works very well! I can now shoot everything from skeet to turkeys with one gun. The chokes I have all extend 1.5" out from the muzzle... the turkey choke goes out 2.5". A good alternative to off-brand barrels are used ones. Start here:
    Shotgun Barrels, Used and Replacement Barrels on BarrelExchange.com

7. orangello

orangello New Member

8. orangello

orangello New Member

TheFiringLine Forums
    Saw that on another forum i visit; it might be what you want. I don't know if duder is price-flexable.

9. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I do not know how to do all that.

10. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I pretty much have been only using Cheaper than Dirt. Do you know any other great sites?

11. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Pretty easy stuff.

To take a barrel off, theres a screw at the end of the magazine. Pull the slide back and completely unscrew the nut on the magazine. It'll pull right out with ease. As for chokes, what dont you understand? Taking them out or knowing which choke to use?

S.S.