Converting an antigun Brit

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Jan 21, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Long story short, I have gotten into a pretty civil debate with a fellow from the UK. I think I am starting win him over (or at least admit that guns arn't the cause of all evil), but would still like to get suggestions on how to convice him that guns are not bad.

Here's how the whole debate has gone.

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Awesome...

Im stealing this, if you dont mind.. :)

3. texaswoodworker

Go for it. :D

4. texaswoodworker

Update ..........

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , remember one thing , even "Antis" are good for something , (Cover in a pinch) . :D

6. davva360

davva360 New Member

I am English and have lived in the US for about 14 years. Its very difficult to convince someone from the UK on the benefits of firearms. They are so used to not being around them that they are scared by them.

I just had a debate on Facebook with my sister over them. I used pretty much every argument you have quoted and while it shut her down I don't really think she is convinced.

When the gun ban passed in England only 250,000 or so weapons were turned in, population was about 52 million at the time. That shows that even when they were more readily available not many people owned them.

The thing that amazes me with the gun debate is how many people are willing to throw away the rights their ancestors fought and died for. If you let them take one they will come for another.

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I worked for Toyota for seven years. We used to take some of the Japanese trainers and engineers shooting when they came over. Even if they were at first reluctant, after leaving the range they were die hard gun enthusiasts. If they were going to return to the US again, they would normally email a month or two in advance and ask if we would take them shooting again.

All it really takes to change someone's mind is a few hours at the range. Once they see the personal joy that they get from it and that the gun really only does what they make it do, their whole perspective changes.

8. davva360

davva360 New Member

Forgot to add, my sister recently went skeet shooting and loved it, so she's a bit of a hypocrite lol.

9. texaswoodworker

Update. :D

10. vincent

vincent New Member

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When I was training horses I would get several letters from trainers coming in from outside the US to go shooting. I am pretty sure they have guns in their homeland. They just don't get to shoot them. No one in their right mind stables a million dollar horse without an armed guard. There is always some idiot wanting to fix a race by making your horse sick.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

To the gentleman on Facebook in the UK-

A polite reminder- at Dunkirk in WW2, Britain was able to rescue a large number of their soldiers. But not their weapons. The US sent large shipments of military weapons to the UK.

We also sent large shipments of privately owned rifles, handguns and shotguns. These were DONATED by Americans, and used to arm the members of the Home Guard. Since they had little or nothing in the way of arms.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

He said the president is limiting who can own automatic weapons. Please explain how the AR15 is not full auto.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Americans citizens can not buy or own automatic weapons without a Federal Transfer stamp. This is done thru the BATF and state and local government approvals.
    Semiautomatics require the trigger to be pulled for each shot. This type of firearm has been used for 100 years by American gun owners. There is no evidence that these self loading firearms cause crime or the two world wars .;)

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

This will work. The TTW throw this in there.

16. texaswoodworker

I'll be sure to add that info in my next email to him. Thanks. :D

I was going to, but I forgot to put it in the last letter. I meant to send him another one immediately after the last one, but I didn't have time. I will definetly let him know tonight. Thanks guys.

17. texaswoodworker

Message sent.