Converting .40's to .357,9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gojubrian, May 15, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Which .40S&W pistols can be converted to these calibers? Is it difficult or is as simple as swapping the barrels and mags? Should the springs be changed as well?

I'm here to learn. :cool:

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sig 226

I own one in .40 S&W

To shoot .357 Sig I would need to swap the barrel. Same spring and mags.

To shoot 9mm I would need to swap barrel, recoil spring and mags.

I'm sure there are others but the 226 is the only one I'm familiar with.

TACK

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Sig 229 works the same. You can also get the .22 conversion kit for either. I have a 229 with a .40 & .357 barrel and just picked up the .22 kit for it...

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I did not think that the .40 / .357sig have the same breechface as the 9mm. The 9mm is smaller in diameter and may not be extracted from the barrel correctly.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You are correct but the Sig 9mm conversion barrels work well. I don't have one for mine but I know folks that use them with great success...

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I was thinking about an XDm .40 then getting the .357 sig and 9mm barrels. Anyone have these conversions for xd's?

Just for fun. :)

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Most 40sw/357sig conversions require only a barrel change (mags are always interchangeable). Some guns with the proper conversion barrel can be swapped down to 9mm just as easily. I know Glocks can, and the nice thing there is that Lone Wolf offers quality conversion barrels for just about $100.

As far as the XDM goes, you may want to make sure the "M" models can be converted just as easily with the drop-in barrels. I seem to recall hearing that the standard XDs were easier to convert. Try this site for info on XD barrels.

I like the XDs better than any other polymer gun, but when it comes to the cost and simplicity of conversions, it's really tough to beat Glock.

8. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

Eaa witness goes .45 .40 9mm and .22. The conversion kits have slide,barrel, spring and magazine

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The Springfield Omega was based on the Peters Stahl. It could be converted to .38Spl wadcutter, 9mm, .38Super, 10mm, .45 ACP, and anything in between. It had special extractors that did not care what rim was being used. Change the barrel and mag, then go. Google "Peters Stahl".

Last edited: May 20, 2010