Convert to trench gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by tazzman55, Jul 20, 2016.

1. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

Anyone have experience converting a commercial Winchester model 12 to a trench gun using an aftermarket heat shield and bayonet lug?

2. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

3. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

I did. Would like to hear from someone who has done it.

4. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't if I were you, Model 12s are starting to becoming more and more rare(I assume that you plan on cutting barrel ) . If you want a traditional trench gun I would say to search for one already done.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

condition, condition, condition. it all boils down to the condition of the shotgun you are wanting to convert and value.

if the shotgun can be restored to it's original condition easily, it might be worth much more money than if it were converted to a trench gun. if it's in fairly pristine condition, personally, i'd leave it be, and find a less than stellar example to convert. again, it comes down to condition.

if it's beat all to hell, rusty and looks like dog excrement, and there is no personal sentiment attached to the shotgun, then it might be worth converting.

only you can make that decision as to whether to convert or not.

hazarding a guess and an opinion, my thoughts would be if the gun were restored to it's OEM factory condition, it would be worth much more than one converted to a trench gun. I doubt it would ever be worth converted to a trench gun, as an original from the factory trench gun. it would just be a replica at best. that is strictly a guess and an opinion on my part though.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

There a US military model 12 in a local gun shop I would like to get.. I was thinking of doing the same.. cutting the barrel and making a riot gun out of it. (no heatsheild). It looked like one of the gunnery training guns but the barrel is cut and a aftermarket choke was added..

Even though the gun is hacked up.. I just like all the US markings :)

Some of us have to build the guns we want cause we cant afford the legit ones!.. Kinda like how I want to build a M1903A1 because I dont have $10k+ to buy a real one.. :)

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  10. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Handy item in Mogadishu.
    Was in a unit with a liberal TO&E and a good armorer.
    Winchester Model 12 Riot slightly modified
    2nd pic shows the bayonet lug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]