convert colt .45 1911 to .40 S&W

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by GatlinCat, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatlinCat

GatlinCat New Member

Is it possible to convert a colt .45 1911 to a .40 S&W?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Quite a few companies build 1911s in .40 S&W these days. Check with Wilson Combat to see if you can get the required parts. I'd imagine it would just require a barrel swap and maybe a new recoil spring.

3. hideit

hideit New Member

colt used to sell a 10mm in the 1911 frame
    but why would you want to do this
    for a $1000 - 1500 job you could 2-4 glocks that hold a lot more ammo in the clip !!

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

A quick Google search turned up the fact that several companies make drop in .40 S&W barrels for 1911s. The best would probably be Bar-Sto. http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=COLT

You may also need a new extractor. I'm curious as to why you'd want to convert to .40 S&W. It tends to have a sharper recoil than the .45 ACP and isn't much more controllable. A little practice with the .45 ACP will help you with controlling recoil and getting your front site back down a little more quickly.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  5. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

45 to 40 S&W

You will need a complete replacement upper...

slide, barrel....and with the 40 upper, you could swap into a 10mm barrel..they share the same breach face 40S&W and 10mm.

Sharing a common frame with different slides is cool !

You will need 40S&W magazines as well. Available from Metalform who makes the mags for Colt

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Why would you even want to???

7. Gunnutz13

Gunnutz13 New Member

????

Very possible...but...why would ya ??!!

The .40S&W is only a necked down and made wimpy 10mm

The 45acp has better ballistics and is easier to control on the follow-up shot

And for the money to convert...you could buy a brand new forty, and still keep the 1911 platform

Just my 2 cents...

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

40 s&w is not a "necked down" 10mm. The case is shorter but the bullet diameter is the same. Bullet weights for standard loads are too different, as is velocity. There individual effectiveness is based on two different theories: heavy and slow vs. lighter and faster. As it relates to guns themselves, magazine capacity and physical size are considerations. One fills a role just as well as the other, based on preference for a certain caliber more than anything. I would think you would have to shoot several people with both calibers then analyze the shootings. There are numerous reports written based on exactly this standard. I think if you study them there wouldn't be a huge difference in effectiveness, at least not enough to discredit one or the other.

9. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

As noted above, not true. The 40S&W is a small primer (large for 10mm) and a case that is .142 shorter. No other difference.

Also not true. The 40S&W is a much flatter shooting cal.

BINGO!

10. Dick

Dick New Member

Colt made a 1911 in 40 S&W years ago for about 9 months. One of the models was number 08040 with a blue upper and stainless steel lower. Another one was model number 01040 which was all stainless steel.

11. prpapiman

prpapiman New Member

I own a colt .40

I own a Colt MK IV series 80 AND YES IT'S HAS A .40 S&W Barell. I’m beginning to believe it’s the only one in the world, seriously I bought it in 1995cost me $700.00 I’m willing to sell Butttttttttttt I live in Puerto Rico don’t know the legal procedures, Anyhow my e-mail is angelortizflores@hotmail.com if you wish pictures of gun just drop a note.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

All I have to say is old thread, and WHY? 1911's are meant to be .45's for a reason. That's what J.M. Browning wanted.....jeebus

Welcome, amigo. P.R. should be #51, But it is not. You may have a better chance if you bring it here (not NY or NJ). Arizona or Texas. :)

stop in the introduction thread and say ola

13. prpapiman

prpapiman New Member

Hola Amigos

Hola,,, State #51 yes I’m all for it. I don't understand we are U.S. Citizens, my passport reads United States of America, we have U.S. Army bases, National Guard, We Receive Federal Funds, Macy’s, McDonalds, etc etc, what else is needed. Well anyway I have a Florida firearm license may be I can take it to Florida and from there to another state. But then again maybe I should hold on to it since it’s so rare a .40 caliber colt 1911. Well until next visit “VAYA CON DIOS AMIGOS”

Attached Files:

• ppr.bmp
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
  14. superc

superc Member

Never mind, best not to know...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10-11-2007 ?

Attached Files:

16. superc

superc Member

Ola. I worked on that island for several months back in 06. [A now defunct project to mediate the likelihood of tsunamis and earthquakes. This island is very vulnerable and the toll would easily surpass that of Haiti. I pray it never happens.] Also I did some other stuff. This island (as well as Guam) is in need of a lot more attention and assistance from the mainland US. The island is part of the US, even if the signs in the Burger King are in Spanish. I would hang on to that pistol. It is a not often seen variation and the value can only go up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.