Conundrum - Mobile Home

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by partdeux, Sep 24, 2019.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

It's looking more and more like we're going to spend at least part of our retirement n a park model travel trailer... essentially a mobile home. One place to put the safe, is right over the rail, that is directly supported by blocks.

I'm not fond of this location. It makes a whole lot more sense in the add on room... however as hard as it is to believe, I'm trapped and can not get under the add on room to add reinforcement. It was originally a very very large deck, that was later turned into a three season enclosure. One structural engineering friend already suggested that it's structurally inadequate as is. I'm trapped by drain plumbing and HVAC pipes... and it's built over a dirt floor.

I want a 30ish gun safe size, with higher fire rating. Not some much concerned with theft, as it is a gated community, as I am with fire

suggestions?

Still doesn't solve the problem of how we're going to carry and protect our firearms when we travel the rest of the year in a 5th wheel or TT.

2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

in the situation you are describing, your only choice is to "thin out the herd" to just a few (5-8) of your favorites. then you can find a smaller safe that isn't too heavy and that has fire protection.

now, if you are not too keen on fire protection and if it has 2 bedrooms, use one to store all your guns. just don't go around bragging or otherwise indicate you have gun(s) to anybody when you're traveling

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta get rid of a bunch of guns. What other choice is there based on what you just told us.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Move.
    When in the RV I only keep a few guns and my emergency get home firearms. I found a 20 gauge coach gun is fast to load, unload or switch ammo depending on the situation. Also fun to play with. I take some fun guns like a 22lr and some handguns.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    kfox75 likes this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

he is moving, to a trailer.

winds-of-change likes this.
  6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Rent a secure storage container, get a very good lock, put your big safe in there and bolt it to the floor. Perhaps get a smaller safe for your trailer for immediate-access weapons (one that won't overload the structure).

kfox75 likes this.
  8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Store a safe at a friend's house

Rifling82 and RJF22553 like this.
  9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Spread the weight of the safe across more floor area. 3/4" plywood can be your friend. For instance, if you have a closet you can put it in, add a layer of plywood so that it will span over more than one stringer.

kfox75 and RJF22553 like this.
  10. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

if you are retiring, reduce. it's a time to adapt, rethink, change.

if you intend to will people firearms, don't. give them to the person you plan to will them to, before that becomes complicated or impossible

Shopfox, W.T. Sherman and Oldoutlaw like this.
  11. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

From observation of gunsafes and fires, the safes fall through floors when the supporting floor is burned to the point of failure. Depending on the height they fall, surface upon which they land, length of time in fire, exposure to water, and construction of the safe itself, condition of the contents will vary accordingly. Some warp, some get bent, one even popped open. Admittedly I know very little about "fire ratings". I only know what I've seen - probably about a dozen. Most of those fires were "Grounders" .

MisterMcCool and W.T. Sherman like this.
  12. W.T. Sherman

the over-ridding factor why I put mine in the basement, is because it's way big and way TOO HEAVY to be on ground floor. the added + to that is it's the best place for it to be in case of a fire

[​IMG]

13. Ozark Hillman

Ozark Hillman New Member

They do make a safe that replaces your box springs in your bed. It lays flat on the floor and would spread the weight over a larger area.

kfox75 likes this.
  14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I don't "do" gun safes: we're home 24/7 with no kids.

Our one safe is a 1' cube to retain valuable papers. It is in the basement as we were advised (by the manufacturer) placing higher causes of danger to fire responders were it upstairs.

Once things are done to my workspace, I may get a gun safe, but mostly for documents, so it needs to be fire-proof. Important documents will then go there. It is a tough challenge between potential fire damage and flood damage...

For the OP, your dilemma is temporary. Very valuable goes into a safe in a storage compartment, hopefully fire and water proof. Immediate stays with you.

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

When we travel in the TT (or if we get a 5th wheel) I suspect our collection will be limited while traveling. I met a guy this summer with a toy hauler 5th wheel, he showed me a couple of his secret hiding places. Pretty innovative.

A strange twist has presented itself. A friend with a new park model and probable better constructed add on room is looking to sell. I would likely be able to get under this unit and it has a cement floor. We're going to go look at it hopefully this weekend.

What's this sell guns routine? LOL. People actually sell firearms?

RJF22553 likes this.
  16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This^^.

And this ^^.

I currently have three bedrooms on my floor, and a sleeper sofa in the living room, set up like this. It was easy to remove the sleeper bed, reinforce it, and convert it to another safe, including making a cover for the safe inside. Other options include checking into furnishings, like those made by tactical walls (https://tacticalwalls.com/), which we have a couple of their products, including one of the shelves over our bed. They also makle wall mounted mirrors, book cases, shelves, coffee tables, and other furniture, designed to hide, and somewhat secure, your firearms.

And I can't think of a better way to spread the weight, than to distribute than throughout the trailer as a whole, not just in one room.

And under bed safes can be bolted to the floor, not just the frames.

For handgun storage, but a Harbor Freight tool box, and bolt that to a wall in a shop area. You can also buy a bank of used lockers, line them with drywall (What the safe companies use for fireproofing), and do the same, as they can be set up for long or hand guns (Keep in mind that the focus of any safe is the door and lock. The walls are as thin as the ones on most school lockers, more often than not.) You can spotweld the panels together, or you can bolt them together with security bolts.

they are also the perfect size for a closet.