Continuing Aussie Floods

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AusLach, Jan 10, 2011.

1. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Over the past 24 hours and in the days to come the East coast of Australia has been inundated with water. In the city of Toowoomba (at the top of a 2000 metre mountain range, mind you), an 8 metre high wall of water wreacked havoc down the main street yesterday, washing cars and houses kilometers away from where they once stood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HLvwPmles]YouTube - Subaru Forester washed down West Creek hits Herries St bridge during the Toowoomba Floods[/ame]

8 people have been confirmed dead, however that death toll is expected to rise dramatically with a further 72 missing. The Bureau of Meteorology predicts that another 300mm of rain will fall in the next two days, and that the QLD State capital of Brisbane will also be flooded by as early as this afternoon (12pm here now). The majority of South Brisbane is now on evacuation alert. Authorities are now being forced to release water from Wivenhoe Dam, which is at 190% capacity (The extra 100% comes from an extra area of the dam designed to protect Brisbane from flooding, however this has been quickly filled), which will further compound the flooding induced directly by the rain.

Rescue efforts include Military choppers winching stranded families off the top of their roofs, fast-water flood boat crews searching cars that have been washed down-stream and emergency rations being delivered by barge and airfreight..

My family is safe, they are in an area in NSW which is unaffected by floods although they are experiencing heavy rain. I am stranded on the Gold Coast, less than 62 miles from Brisbane and 100 from Towwoomba. I am in better shape than a lot of other people, although I can't get out of the city I still have phone and Internet access.

Please keep those affected in your thoughts, I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Queensland Floods: At least 8 dead, 72 missing | QLD Floods

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Prayers sent. I've been through enough to know how nature is. Be safe.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

That is crazy! :eek: I thought the flooding was easing up as of last week, I didn't realize it was still affecting you folks even today. :eek: Prayers and thoughts for all those that need it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks for the update Aus.

5. AusLach

AusLach New Member

The Brisbane River has just broken it's banks, the city CBD is being evacuated right at this moment.

The irony of this whole situation is that as little as 6 months ago the country was in dire straights due to drought! In fact, on the other side of Australia firefighters are battling a bushfire that is threatening houses 60 miles from the Western Australia capital, Perth...

Mother Nature is certainly not to be f*@ked with :eek:

6. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Sh!t, I just saw on the TV that king tides are expected at 3am tomorrow. These will travel up the Brisbane River and meet with the water released from Wivenhoe Dam and flood waters to inundate the city of Brisbane..

It just gets worse and worse!

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've got a big heart for Australia. I wish y'all well and hope that those in the path are safe and able to rebuild okay.
    My thoughts are with all of them.
    I hope you're in a safe area.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I am glad you are in good shape, but my heart breaks for the rest. You will all be in my prayers.

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Water is amazing for sure.

I just went to the Hoover Dam, the power plant is in danger of being rendered useless as the pool is only 35' above the intakes. With no relief in sight, as precipitation totals and evaporation are only getting worse. Global warming at work.

They could use your precipitation. Be safe!

10. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Brisbane is now in gridlock with everyone trying to get out of the city. The actual floodwater from upriver has not even hit yet, however the river has already broken it's banks due to the extreme rain. The floodwater coming down the range from above Brisbane is expected to coincide with the king tide travelling up the river tomorrow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLsQw_ILcP0]YouTube - QLD Floods 2011 - 7:30 Report (Part 1) - ABC - 10/01/2011[/ame]

This is a video of Toowoomba from last night, this is the amount of water heading down towards Brisbane at the moment. Look at 1:30 mins in...

Death toll is now 9, 66 people still missing.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Again, my thoughts and prayers for those affected by the flooding and those who have lost their lives.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

My heartfelts going out to the people in the path. Hang tough. That should be Australia's motto; Hang Tough. Anyway, keep us updated Aus and I hope our other members from down under are safe as well.

13. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks for all the good wishes, prayers and support guys. Z and Morgo are down in Sydney and Newcastle respectively, out of the reach of floodwaters for now, however the storm system is expected to move down that way over the next couple of days. Late reports are saying that this will supercede the 1974 floods, the biggest in Australia's recorded history

Flood_Brisbane_large.jpg

14. AusLach

AusLach New Member

10 dead, over 90 people missing as of 10am today. Brisbane's flood peak will be 5.5 metres at 4am tomorrow morning with 40,000 homes expected to be affected. The storm cell has moved down over the South-East corner of Australia, and now Victoria is experiencing flash flooding too!

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks for the updates, Aus. You and the fam still doing OK?

16. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Yeah mate, we're all good. I have an aunt and uncle in Toowoomba (see first vid), but they were on the high side of town.

Down at home it's still raining, but there's no danger of flooding to the house or shed. The creek will probably overflow, and Dad won't be able to drive around the paddocks for a week or two but fortunately that'll be the worst of it.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Wow. Good deal.

I have a friend who owned a house in New Orleans before Katrina. He was in the "Beverly Hills" of NO, apparently, and area called "The Bird Streets". His home (and neighborhood) was on a slight knoll and was completely undamaged while the surrounding areas were devastated. What a difference being on the high side of town can make, eh?

Be safe.

18. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Here are some pics from Ipswich, about 30-40 miles from Brisbane..

600ipswich-600x400.jpg

600coles-600x400.jpg

1_Ippy1-600x400.jpg

1/3rd of Brisbane is already underwater, half of the city is expected to be affected after the flood peak early tomorrow morning. 75% of QLD is now affected by the floods.

Excuse my 'Paint' skills lol but here's a comparison of the land mass of QLD to America... Remember, 75% of the state is under water.
    aust-usa-map.jpg

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Thanks for the updates and stay safe. Good thoughts and prayers that things settle down and return to normal soon :)

20. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks mate, they're thinking the water in Brissy should reside by Saturday.. I should be able to get back home to the family by next week some time, just in time for moving!