Contender Barrels - Which ones fit older Contender ?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sheriffjohn, Aug 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Going through safes, dug out my old Contender and assorted barrels with an eye to adding a couple of additional ones. How do you determine which ones work with which model ?

2. 67stingray

67stingray Active Member Supporter

Barrels for the original Contender may be used on the later-released G2 Contender and G2 barrels may be used on original Contender frames with a serial number greater than 195000. Early Contenders had a one piece lug on the barrel then changed to a two piece lug, you used to be able to get the lugs from Thompson. The G2 Encore is basically a scaled down version of the contender. The Contender was designed to handle calibers up to 30-06 and the G2 can only handle pressures from .223 and lower. At least that's my understanding, someone else might be more knowledgeable.

3. sheriffjohn

What about shoulder stock interchangeability ?

4. 67stingray

67stingray Active Member Supporter

Not sure, but I don't think so.

5. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

G2 and G1 take different grips/stocks.
    Bbls should swap just fine. But...........you might have to change or fit lugs. Just never know. Sometimes what works on one old frame doesn't work on another........I had two non easy open G1 with old bbls.........and one would lock up on one frame and not the other. I went easy open and newer bbls and had no issue (pre G2 bbls........but not as old as some I've had). Still think a TCA 22 mag 12" octagon a cool looking bbl (shoulda bought it).

6. sheriffjohn

Thanks ! As proud as some sellers are of their barrels, I don't want to mess up.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a Contender for several years. I got into wildcat cartridges. 30-30 was the largest rifle cartridge that Thompson Center made. There were other makers make stuff that they maybe should not have. I have never heard of a 30-06 barrel for a Contender. I am quite certain it was not designed for that pressure. Bullberry made 45-70 barrels for them. But it was a little controversial. It was more than Thompson Center recommended. And Thompson refused to make one. I sort of lost interest and sold my set up about a year ago. Part of the reason was because I realised the limitations of the design. The new guns are able to do much more. They are intended to shoot much more powerful cartridges. The Encore is the stronger gun. But nothing is interchangeable with any of the contender models.