Contemplating joining a league.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by 1911NUT, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 1911NUT

1911NUT Member

I recently purchased a new Smith & Wesson 9 (2.0) ( I know, I know, a 1911NUT With a striker fire weapon) but I digress, i bought it for the sole reason of joining a weekly shooting league for the first time. I'm not a GREAT shot, but I can hit what I'm trying to destroy. Does anyone have any tips to give an old 1911 dude.

The only reason I bought it for the league was simply for capacity. (less tactical reloads)

kansas45 and AZdave like this.
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Make out like you are a fan of whatever you bought.

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

I'm happy with my new Sw 9. A league sounds like fun. And a chance to make new friends.

4. 1911NUT

1911NUT Member

I'm really looking forward to it. A co-worker talked me into this. (and he is a shooter)
    Pretty excited about it.

5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Is it the SD9? 16+1? Nice gun.

My only advice is to do a LOT of dry fire practice for the express purpose of gaining confidence in handling a gun without a manual safety. Draw, aim, press. Recock, holster. Repeat. Concentrate on keeping your finger off the trigger. Not saying you have any such bad habit. But you are working with one less layer of protection than the 1911 your name suggests you are used to.

Another benefit is to adjust your grip. The double stack is thicker than the 1911. Your grip will have to adjust.

Ghost1958, astroman and kansas45 like this.
  6. 1911NUT

1911NUT Member

Actually its the M&P 9 2.0 (17+1) without the thumb safety. I considered using my Glock 19, but this way I had an excuse to buy a new weapon. I'm not a huge fan of striker fire triggers, but Smith & Wesson really did a great job on the 2.0 trigger. I just gotta take it out and shoot a little more and get more confident with it. (So I don't make a fool of myself)

SWSinTN, Balota and astroman like this.