Contast v. Night sights

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by seibert1903, Sep 20, 2013.

1. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

I'm purchasing a SP2022 9mm next week and was still unsure which sights to get. What are your thoughts?

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Night sights are great but you pay a premium for them. My theory is that night sights are a self defense tool. in most self defense situations, the sights don't even get used. If you think it is something that you want to try, go for it. I just have never been able to justify having them.

3. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Thanks for the input!

4. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Better to have and not need.......... well you know how it goes.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You may have made up your mind by now, but just in case consider an opposing view. Night sights are of no help in range practice or competition. Contrast sights allow faster target acquisition in most situations. Night sights, btw, are no longer premium in the SIG pistols.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

What? What does no longer premium in the SIG pistols mean? They have always been an extra bell and whistle. My 1911 which is a sig as well has adjustable combat night sights. I dont believe that nights sight hinder sight acquisition but can actual help to make sure the pistol is being held level which can be sometimes difficult for some. I can say that the most accurate pistol I ever had was also a sig and did not have night sights but it did cost almost 3 grand.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Night sights are a must in low light unless you like holding a flashlight by your neck/head with your off hand and taking clumsy shots. It sucks. Even inside of 7 yards. I've missed quite a few varmints and a couple of snakes because I grabbed a gun without night sights. Even at point blank range with a fat, sick old raccoon it took 3 shots and the first missed by 2 feet. I have contrast sights on that gun and there was a streetlight nearby. Don't let these guys kid you. Anything after dusk without night sights requires either Jedi powers or dumb luck and being backlit (which means you are a silhouette yourself... Bad juju.).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  8. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I prefer night sights if I ever plan on carrying it for self defense and if I carry it for self defense I prefer a set of laser grips as well. To each their own, I see no disadvantages to night sights.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not anymore. Many P-series SIGs come with night sights, standard. I paid the same for my 2022 with 3 dots. You realize we are talking fixed night sights, right? Night sights don't hinder anything. They are just smaller. For quick engagement, larger and brighter sights do help.

10. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

In case anybody's confused on this:

image-138422434.jpg
    Glock 22, Tritium night sights, low light

image-4248381076.jpg
    Glock 22, Tritium night sights, fluorescent light

image-3885226817.jpg
    Sig Contrast Sights

11. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Thanks or the input, guys. I still have till Friday to decide but right now I'm leaning more toward contrast sights since ill mainly be using it at the range(for cc I use a revolver).

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I've made shots consistently on an 8 inch plate at 87 yards with the Glock .22, tritium sights and cheap crappy range ammo. They are perfectly fine for range use. Target acquisition is easy. And in close range self defense shooting you are usually looking over the slide at the offender, not necessarily trying to gain a sight picture. But I gain the sight picture just as fast with or without the tritium sights. The standard Glock (or standard Sig) contrast sights are the first things to GO when I buy one of their firearms. Gross. 3 dots thank you very much. :D But hey to each his own I guess.

13. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I think standard Sig sights are an acquired taste much like Glock sights. I prefer a 3 dot system or this

ForumRunner_20130924_212125.jpg

Combat Night sights, dot over bar, quick and fast target acquisition also very accurate

ForumRunner_20130924_212426.jpg