consistant .22 LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Chainfire, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I took out a couple of .22 rifles this morning for some cheap shooting. The one thing I learned was that the ammo I was shooting is inconsistant.

The Federal in the 550 value pack was the worst. Winchester and Remington was not a lot better. With the Federal, you could even hear the difference in the rounds report. I had more than just a few failures to fire with good solid strikes on the rims.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a .22 lr that is readily available and reasonably consistant.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've had good luck with the Federal 550 packs. Not in terms of repeatable accuracy but in them loading and firing correctly. The Federal is plinking ammo. When I want to shoot for small groups on paper it is CCI Mini-Mag at the absolute minimum. I have a Savage BV that shoots the Mini-Mags better than anything else I have tried in it.

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I only use Federal Gold Medal Match in my 22's. It's not real cheap compared to the other 22 ammo out there but still far less than a larger caliber and dead on with each shot.

4. vito77

vito77 New Member

i have always had the best luck with the winchester ammo. but if you want to get a little more expensive ammo try the cci. seems like it shoots good but i cant afford the difference of how much i like to shoot mine..

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Something with a CCI logo on the box. IMHO, Blazer is the best of the cheap stuff.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

What is your rifle and what kind of scope. Don't except bulk boxs to shoot well. Buy some 50 round boxs from different companies ,well 100 round for some cci and see if you can find some worth while. I don't shoot high velocity much any more. Most rifle will shoot tighter groups with standard velocity , 1100fps and a bit less.

I have 4 rifles that are great shooter. 3 that will do under a 1" at 100 yards and a 40 year old 511P remmy that even with my sorry eye site and a globe and peep site will do 3/8" at 25 yards but i mainly shoot federal 711B,922A sk/wolf. To of these sell around 5 to 6 dollars a box. It also take 10 to 15 rounds when changeing brands before groups well shoot there best. Buy junk and a rifle will shoot like junk more times than not.

8. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

+1 on federal. I just went through half of a 550 box in my Savage Mark 2. No failures to fire, and the only ftf I had was me jamming the bolt foward to hard and at an awkward angle. You just have to find bullets that work the best in your .22. After that, its nothing but fun.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Accuracy is expensive. Just HOW accurate do you want to be?

In the ordinary price range, CCI makes very good ammo. Federal Target is also great. Taregt Gold, better. If you find any Federal Champion Target STANDARD VELOCITY, buy all you can get- no longer out there, rumor was it was overrun of their match ammo.

Moving up in $$$, Wolf .22LR match is as good a Match round as I have seen. Fiocchi, Eley, Lapua Match and Nobel R-50 are incredibly accurate, consistent, and price will make you weep. I am paying about $16/ 50 rounds of Lapua Master and Nobel R-50. But they WILL do five in one ragged hole at 50 yards with the right rifle, right shooter.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I want to be minute of squirrel at about 40 yards. That is about as good as my eyes work. I will give the wolf a try. Thanks

I generally shoot three .22 rifles and one revolver. My favorite is an old Winchester model 190, but I also shoot a 10-22 (not nearly as reliable as the Winchester) and an even older J.C. Higgins single shot bolt, that as a kid, I used to shoot match boxes at 50 yards all day long. (Aim low left)

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For testing the accuracy of 22's I used CCI Green Tag ammo for many years as a base test. I found that most 22's liked that round and had very good luck with it. As you most likely know each 22 is different and some like one brand over another.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I use nothing but CCI Blazer 40gr LRN.They are essentially MiniMags but with no copper coat,they always shoot the same whether I buy 50 or 1,000 at a time,and I usually can get them for $1.50 a box of 50.

13. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

my ruger likes cci blaser best but if im after tight groups i weigh every round and rebox them eliminate the big concerns then work on the detales

14. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Well like others have said, I'll vote for CCI mini mags.

15. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Federal Gold Match. 10 shots at 50 yards by an eight year old aiming at the bottom-center line of the orange circle

[​IMG]

17. Jay

Jay New Member

Rimfire firearms have a mind of their own, when it comes to ammo. Most of the time, the accuracy goes up with better quality control. Better quality control costs more, and as a result so does the ammunition. A couple of my rifles shot sub-moa with Federal 900B, but they quit making it. Eley EPS black box shot excellent in several of my match rifles, but couldn't afford it any more. Currently Wolf MT shoots better in the majority of my rifles than anything else for the same money.

Find what yer rifle likes, and buy as much of it as you can afford.

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

nice group and a great pic keep it fun keep the kids shooting

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sometimes you just have to break down and clean the

dirt out of the gun. I picked up my Marlin with a clean barrel but very

dirty guts. One thorough cleaning, with a light oiling,

brought it from sticky and jammy

to works every time.

CCI is much better than 500 bricks, but you're paying about twice

as much.

IME the CCI cycles the pistols much better.

20. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Blazer is made by CCI, nice reliable offbrand at a slightly lower price.
    Its rare as heck for either to have issues.

I like Federal Automatch bulk too :)

Wouldn't give a plugged nickel for RGB's...