Considering a Shotgun for Home Defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by GatorDude, Feb 1, 2014.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

Lately, I've been considering a shotgun for home defense. A shotgun seems like an affordable and effective option. However, since I'm on a tight budget, I'd probably go for something used. Here are some of the key considerations that I'd look at in choosing one:

A Guide to Buying a Shotgun for Home Defense

What do you guys look at when choosing a home defense shotgun? Any particular models that would work well on a budget? Do you think a double-barrel model would be worthwhile? I'm thinking that a double-barrel would be super quick to load and deploy. But, there is that trade off in being limited to two shots.

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Check out the shotguns from Turkey that Buds has. They look pretty good, hold at least 4 rounds, and the most expensive one is under 300 bucks. The basic model is only $180.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

3. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

There's quite a few affordable options on the market today, the mossberg maverick 88 comes to mind. Just a cheaper version of the mossberg 500 series shotguns. Jus do a lil research and you can find them for around 200-240 bucks, and just because there cheap doesn't mean there not quality. There's also the H&R pardner pump thats a Remington 870 clone that could be had around the same price point maybe a lil cheaper than the maverick 88. Just depends on what style platform your looking for. Me personally I would check out the maverick 88 because I like the mossberg platform.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The regular Mossberg 500 itself isn't even that much, I have seen them new for less than $300 many places, around $290ish.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. There are other budget guns out there, but finding fully compatible replacement parts or support is a touch harder.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Well, the one that was Slightly less than 300 was the marine model. All nickel, inside and out, rail, sights, pistol grip. Admittedly, parts availability might be a good question to ask.

7. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

I just checked the H&R pardner is 187 at buds.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Maverick Model 88. for a perfect HD/SD version, either the six or eight shot magazine tube. pretty much the same shotgun as the Mossberg 500 and many parts like chokes, barrels and stocks will interchange on the M88. it's owned by Mossberg.

i am on my second one and highly recommend them as an inexpensive option for a good solid shotgun. mine has had several thousands of shells gone through it and it's still going strong.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

I just got finished reading about American Tactical's TAC -SX2 semi-automatic MSRP $380 and TAC-PX2 pump MSRP $300 and they look promising for a tight budget but never seen one in person.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Sound advice. Double guns hold two shells; fine for hunting, inadequate for defense.

no offense and none taken
    BannedBackTogether@email.com

11. Axxe55

unless, you're taking the Joe Biden approach to self defence!:eek:

12. TerryM

TerryM New Member

Never hurts to checkout local pawn shops. Last year I picked up a nice Mossberg 500 with three barrels. 28 in, smooth bore, 20 inch rifled slug barrel, and a 16.5 HD barrel. all for 150.00. Gave the clerk to money and ran out with the gun ASAP :D

13. Axxe55

now that was a huge score! very nice price indeed!

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Barrels should be 18" or over to be legal on a shotgun.

15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

He probably mis-typed the 16.5"

16. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Mossy is the better HD/SD gun. Safety is in a better spot , dual extractors , shell lifter stays in the up position for quicker reloading (plus wont mess your nails up if you just painted them) Its lighter , due to alloy reviever. Note on the Maverick, the safety is in the conventional location.

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Just...keep...talking...

no offense and none taken
    BannedBackTogether@email.com

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

LOL...I live with a gun nut...Have learned much..

19. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Your gonna go blind if you keep doing that.....

20. hubus83

hubus83 New Member