Considering a new 7.62 X 51 rifle

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by robocop10mm, Mar 5, 2014.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have an HK-91 and a CETME. I am about to have some disposible income available. I am thinking of an AR platform (I have always wanted an AR-10b from Armalite, but they are hard to find). I think I would like to have a full size rifle, not a collapsible carbine.

I am not looking at a precision rifle. I want another battle rifle. If I go precision, I will probably go with a Howa.

I have tons of HK magazines so I am considering a PTR-91.

I like the M1A's, but I am not sure I want to get into another platform.

Same with the FAL

If I elect to go with an AR platform, I am not completely up to speed on magazine interchangeability. Which ones take the Magpuls?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that only DPMS pattern rifles use SR25 mags, most companies follow that pattern. I know for a fact that Armalite does not.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

What's your price range??

Two great options on the upper end colt 901 scar17.

The scar doesn't use pmags but mags are easily obtained nowadays. None of the ar10 are .mil approved only the scar17 m1a. The ptr is foreign .mil just be reallllllly choosy about the one you get as used ones often get passed off as new. I've seen a lot of shoddy built ptr for sale as new.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I figure about $1500ish. I completely forgot about the Colt. I looked at the S&W's, but they only have Carbines

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Hey don't forget about PSA!!! You could always build one.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

If your not going scar the colt 901 is a sweet deal since it can use 556 uppers and comes complete minus optic

7. DP03

DP03 New Member

Have you looked at the Sig 716?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I think you should buy another FAL because I just happen to have one I would like to sell so I could buy another Garand. Good luck on your quest.

9. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Has the PVAR been released ?

10. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If it were me, I'd sell the HK and use the cash to get a SCAR and mags.

If it weren't all it was supposed to be, I'd not recommend it to anyone. However, for what you get the feature set is hard to beat. It's also a current technology US military rifle that's not likely to be replaced any time in the near future.

Th G3, FAL, and M-14 are all old technology. They're all perfectly usable and reliable rifles, but do give the new tech a shake for sh!ts and giggles.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have been more than happy with my DPMS . Its very accurate , its kind of heavy compared to a 7# AR15 . Its 11# , but very little recoil . Uses magpul mags . Seems to have the most aftermarket parts available of the .308 platforms . I looked at buying a SCAR17S , but it was a bit out of my price range at that time .
    I can't complain about on thing on this rifle . Its more accurate than I am and it fits my needs perfectly . I have less money in it than what ur looking to spend for your max
    [​IMG]

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Did you build this one or buy complete? AR-10 is the next build on my list after I finish the .300

~ Get your tools and meet me on tow princess!~

13. Freedom4life

Freedom4life New Member

Sagia 308... Is great

14. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

POF P308

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Firearms Talk mobile app

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I had a Saiga 308 for several years. It was combat accurate but compared to my hunting rifles it was a real POS. My brother has a Saiga chambered in 5.56x45. His rifle is very accurate. He loves the rifle and hunts with it all the time.

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

For that price you can also get a Ruger SR762 or a SIG716.
    Modern, modular, accurate have cold hammer forced barrels, rails standard, etc.

"The poor mans REPR"

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bought it off of a guy and it was a factory DPMS build I changed out a few parts, gas block ,Grips , hand guard , scope and rings . So I cant say I built it. I just dressed her up to my kinda girl

18. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I bought a Sig 716 about a month ago. I looked at the Ruger and S&W. I mostly liked the look of the Sig better, especially in FDE. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about Sig reliability and customer service. I Just couldn't justify the price of the SCAR, especially since I was able to get the same muzzle brake that the SCAR uses for $95 and now have about the same performance, just a bit heavier.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Most folks that own a scar17 including me the first thing they do after the first shoot is get rid of that pws pos brake...

20. 1911love

1911love New Member

What is the best muzzle device for the 17S? What is wrong with the stock one?