Considering a first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by TheRooster, Apr 21, 2010.

1. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

While I was at the range the other day my eye came to some of the handguns they had for sale. I spotted an all black 1911 and saw that it was a Taurus. Even as a Marine I dont specialize in handguns, so it came to a surprise that even Taurus had a 1911 model.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I'm thinking about buying it, the price tag was for 650.00 so I think thats a great deal being that the frames aren't cast and I've never had a problem with a Taurus even with them being based out of (Brazil I think).

My hand fell in love with it, I read up on the notes to the forum, I think everything fits in to place. Anyone have any experience with Taurus 1911's? The sight's were great, it fit my hand like a glove, surprisingly thin as well especially for a .45 so I'm really considering going for this.

Suggestions?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

With their famous quality control issues, I'd never recommend a Taurus to anyone. While their 1911s don't seem to suffer from the same terrible failures the poly guns do, there are better choices out there. I'd buy a Rock Island 100 times before I bought a Taurus.

Unless you plan to shoot 100s of thousands of rounds - I doubt whether a forged or cast frame will make any difference to you. Yes, I've owned a couple of Taurus 1911s and they are OK but noting special...

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For about the same price, take a look at a Springfield Mil Spec. I'm just sayin'...

4. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

thanks for that input, price is a big factor (new family, new base, new apartment) so I like hearing that, I thought springfields were purchased higher.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Depends where you're located. You should be able to get a Rock Island Tactical (about the sames features as Taurus) for around $500. A Springer Mil-Spec (wouldn't recommend the GI) is in the $550-$650 range...

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Another solution, try out some other 1911's, go to some local gun shops and handle a few or go to a local range, rent and shoot a few different ones and find what you like and then do some research. Taurus grips are very similar to all 1911 grips, but functionality and reliability of the pistol could be much different from others.

Instead of plunking down $650 all at once for a pistol, check with a local gun shops or look for an online dealer that offers a lay-away plan. You can probably find a better 1911 for a couple hundred more, minimize your payments and make it more affordable for you for 60-90 days or longer, in some cases.

If you change your mind, many dealers will let you convert the funds already paid to something else. It may take you longer, but it will be well worth the wait.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Jack

7. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

I've got one and my only complaint is the ambidextrous thumb safety. It tends to loosen over time. Other than that there have been no problems and I would recommend them as a good entry level 1911. I bought mine slightly used for a little under $400. To be honest though I don't think I would have paid 650 for one, even new.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

+100!! :cool:

Listen to this man.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The PT1911 is not a bad weapon. But in your situation don't center in one one model and say that's it. The Mil-Spec Springers are pretty good weapons and will come out the box and run 100%. Also the Rock Islands while not the prettiest are fine pistols. A great deal for the money put into them. If you want the Rock with the same featured as the PT1911 look at the tactical. The trigger is not quite the same but it will have the ambi safety and they usually group really well out of the box. I've been hearing good things out of the Para Ord GI Expert as well but I don't have near enough personal knowledge of that weapon. I do own two other Para's and love them both. One is my daily carry weapon (Para LTC).

Any of the above listed are well worth looking at. and you really will do yourself a service to check them all out of you can. Out of all of them the Rock Island might be the best deal. It will more often than not be the least expensive. With the RIA though being the type of ambi safety they use standard 1911 grips will not fit right unless you do a little hand fitting. The safety is made a little different and rides a tad closer to the frame on one side.I was able to fit some on mine with a dremmel that I have set up on a drill press type rig and a sanding wheel. If you can swing the Springer Mil Spec that would be the one I'd get if it was me looking. If not that then the RIA,PT1911,them maybe Para Gi...If it was me.

10. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

So you think the RIA Tactical is a better deal, do you also think the RIA Tactical is a better gun?

What do you think about the Norinco 1911A1-Sport-B? $325

I ask about the Norinco because it has an available kit from Clark's, but they will not send a .460 Rowland kit for the RIA. They used to have Taurus listed as a possible donor gun, but its not there anymore. But, it is not on the "Not Recommended" list.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do research on all the 1911's you can. High price ($2500+ for a 1911) may not mean best quality, but a low price is for sure not high quality. Shoot an "Ed Brown" and a RIA at the same session, and see which you like better. IMHO, I would rather have 1 good quality pistol than 25 "so-so" pistols.

12. shadomunkey

shadomunkey New Member

I really like my Colt 1991 model.
    Not sure what they go for these days, but it's one of the finest weapons I've used!

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Norinco's have been banned from import since the mid-90s. They are decent guns made from very good steel but all of them are 15+ years old...

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It has the bells and whistles you will want once you start shooting the 1911.

The sights are worth the price bump.

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I'm hijacking this thread

Exact thread I was about to post! I'm jumping in.

I have shot a few semi-autos before* never a 1911. The other guns were
    so-so never fell in love with any. Last night shot a Rock Island 1911 and
    decided after 4 trigger pulls my mind was made up. I NEED a 1911 in my life.

So talked to the guys behind the counter, they showed med the Rock Island
    and then the Kimber Custom II (base model) with a quote of $770.

What are your thoughts on that?
    Worth the $ or just go with the Rock Island for $500?

*Beretta 92 FS, Glock 30, Baby desert Eagle some other non-memorable ones.

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I ordered one tonight Don, just do it!