Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by alexanderjason34, Aug 13, 2012.

1. alexanderjason34

alexanderjason34 New Member

This is my first post in the forum and I would like to hear your opinion/personal experiences on carrying a subcompact .45 verses a compact 9mm like a Kahr cw9. I live in Northwest Indiana and we have had an increasing number of incidents where the victim has had to use lethal force to protect his or her life and or family. I carry a Kahr cw9 and a ruger lcp .380 as backup but I've been concerned about stopping power mostly just wanting to stop the threat in the minimal amount of force as possible. I'm a small framed guy and I have a hell of a time "concealing" my firearm. I've been looking at the kimber .45 carry pro for primary carry but have never shot one before. I'm looking for advice and knowledge and opinions about whether or not to upgrade to a .45 or keep my current cc setup, which is sometimes too "heavy" for me. Thanks and I look forward to discussion this with you guys!!
    -Jason-

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

question for you, have you ever shot a compact 45? if you can handle the recoil and are able to shoot it accurately, then yes, upgrade to a larger caliber. my suggestions has always been and will always be, carry the largest caliber you can shoot accurately. if you can't hit accurately with the 45 and can with the 9mm, then that's what you need to carry. remember shots hitting their target regardless of caliber is what matters. several hits with 9mm, trump a miss by a 45!

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Welcome to the forum Jason!

Best advice I could give you is to see if a nearby range has any rentals. I/we can't tell you what YOU shoot best but...High(er) capacity vs. large(er) caliber is a personal decision, what YOU perform best with is what you want to depend on...

Concealment won't be a problem with the right gun and the right setup, lots of "smaller" guys carry full size guns very easily and lots of choices in a SC .45 Of course, it takes time to get accustomed to anything new...:cool:

Personally, I favor the .45 but for the simple reason that's what I shoot best. Now the 'caliber war' conversation is a whole different topic but it still boils down to what YOU shoot most accurately.

Kimbers are cool but don't overlook a Colt Commander or possibly a Springfield...either in 1911 or the new single stack XDS...('dem Springers iz niiiice!!! ;) )

My EDC is a G-30...(ducks incoming rotten fruit and beer cans being flung from the peanut gallery...:p)...and it works very well for me...:cool:

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'm throwing rotten tomatoes at you right now! :eek::D jk with you Vincent!:D

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Axxe said it all in his post. Try it out before you drop the money on one. They can be a handful for some people.

6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Size and weight are going to be your main issues. If you have a hard time carrying and concealing a polymer 9mm compact you will for sure have a horrible time will a .45 1911 platform. They're a bit heavier than a kahr cw9 and a tad bigger as well. See if a friend has one or make friends with someone who does that will let you try it out so you can get a better feel for it

7. vincent

vincent New Member

You seem to type what I think before I can type it, and then you say it better than I can...ya bastid!!! :D

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a ParaOrdnance C7/45. VERY compact 45 ACP, and meets my first test for EDC- reliability. And I shoot it very well. Drawback? Heavier than a mortgage.

9. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

45 is a good choice. A 3 inch is a good choice for CC. I would offer you mine to test but your on the wrong side of the rockies. The recoil is not much more then a 5 inch. and oddly enough I shoot mine better then a 5 inchm and it is a blast to carry. Borrowm rent, beg. but get one and run it. The only downside is messing with the bull barrel. But it is a small issue.
    Congrats on desiring to carry a manly caliber.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Try what you can before you buy.

I have an Ed Brown Kobra Carry (.45), a DW C-BOB (in 10mm), a S&W Mdl 12 (.38Spl), Kel-Tec P3AT (.380), PPK/s (.380 and .22) that I use for carry.

Situations require different equipment and I use what I think is appropriate for the task coming up.

Like shoes that 1 pair does not fit all needs, so goes the SD firearm.

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If the CW9 at just under 16 oz. is sometimes too heavy, I don't think you'll find a .45 easier to carry & being uncomfortable sometimes leads to not carrying at all.

How you carry & the belt/holster you use can be part of that problem, especially the belt which can distribute the weight so it is not as noticible.

12. clem_

clem_ New Member

The .45acp is a proven man stopper.

13. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

2011063630072664822S500x500Q85.jpg

ForumRunner_20120814_140314.jpg

Attached Files:

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Attached Files:

15. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Something to consider for concealment; Adjust your wardrobe.

Anything can be concealed, so long as you are not a slave to fashion. I've been carrying over 40 years, with outside the pants holsters. The guns I've carried that way vary from small "J" frame revolvers to full size semi-auto service guns. In cool weather it isn't a problem to throw on a jacket and you're covered (pun intended).

For summer time carry, I have a bunch of light weight shirts one size too big, untucked, over which I conceal the above mentioned full size pistols. I find that Hawaiian shirts work well, because of the patterns having a camouflage effect and most of them are designed to be worn un-tucked. For every day around town during summer months I usually can be found wearing cargo pants and t shirt, with my "J" frame .38+P in my pants pocket using a pocket holster.

Being old school, I'm a fan of .40 & .45 caliber pistols with expensive self defense ammo that is widely available. With the advances made in ammo during the last decade, a 9mm isn't your grand-father's caliber any more. If you are confident with it and carry modern self defense ammo, you should be good to go. Some folks may suggest that you carry what they carry and if you don't, there is something wrong with you. Don't buy into that! And that's from someone who at one time was vehemently anti-9mm.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

There are mountains of "scientific" data which shows NO measurable difference in stopping power amongst the major semi auto calibers of 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

There is also mountains of street and battlezone experiences where folks who have actually had to use these calibers, strongly disagree and won't rely on any pistol caliber that does not start with a number 4.

I have my opinion but we all know what they say about those...

As already stated, a hit with a .22 LR trumps a miss with a .50 BMG so test fire some compact Polly .45's and see what you think.

Given your current CCW and issues with it's weight, I'd suggest trying the new XDs sub compact. It should be smaller and about the same weight as your Kahr but off a "flush mag" capacity of 5+1 and I believe 7 round extended mags are available.

I own and love a 4" Kimber Eclipse Pro II but if you CW 9 is "sometimes" to heavy, that Kimber will have you walking in circles.

I posted a thread that's relevant to your question a few months ago. If your interested use the search function for "Ideal dimensions for a CCW handgun".

Good luck

Tack

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  17. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Try a G30 or a G36 which is a slim frame single stack .45

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you have to have a 45 why not buy another kahr sense you allready like the pistol and know how it feels in the hand. The cw to the tp would do but will weight a bit more. You will not find lighter. Maybe you just need a different holster for a better carry. What do you use now?? I carry the cw9 or a cm9 and never feel under gunned or calibered. I do bet going from a lite pistol to a 30oz+ large pistol will be a problem to cc if you have trouble now.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I carry a Dan Wesson CCO. I was initially a bit worried about how it would handle. I already owned a SA XD40SC. While by no means unbearable, it was a bit of a handful. It took a fair bit of practice to stay proficient.
    After that, the CCO was a pleasant surprise. While the recoil was a bit sharper than a full sized steel 1911, it was by no means unpleasant. I find it easy to shoot accurately and it conceals easily. So easily, I honestly can't see ever wanting any smaller 1911s. There are a lot of choices in small .45s, take a few for a test drive and see what works for you.

That said, don't get get overly wrapped up in the "Stopping power" thing. I carry a .38 snubbie sometimes too. Having something you can shoot well and are willing to carry consistently is more important than that last foot pound of theoretical performance. YMMV.

20. msup752

msup752 New Member

I was never happy with any caliber, always wanting the best. 18 years ago I started out with 9mm, then bought into the .40 craze. Reloading and never being satisfied led me to the .357 sig (still one of my favorites). I then went big bore with a G30 for CC. Finally I ended up where I started out, the good old 9mm.
    Why does the 9 work for me? Lower recoil allows for me to shoot more accurately with faster follow up shots. Modern hollow points make caliber differences even more negligible (I carry Double Tap 115 solid copper). Reloads and factory ammo are far less than other calibers so I train a lot more. I have an H&K P7 and I carry it often and it is 9mm.