Congressional Drug Testing

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bgeddes, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

In a conversation with co-workers, I proposed drug testing for Congress. Perhaps all of their aides and employees too. The military has been subject to this for a lot of years, and it seems fair to ask the rule makers to succumb to the same scrutiny.

While there is not a chance in Hades of this every being a possibility, the topic turned to the number of 'failures'.

In the event the whole gamut in DC were to pee in a cup, what percentage would fail?

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

65%--I'd guess, Do as I say,not as I do !!

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

All other federal employees are subject to it, why shouldn't they be?

4. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

A common exemption in every bill (unless it is a bill to benefit members of Congress) is to exclude Congress from the requirements of the law.

Congress does not have to comply with:

Child labor laws (neither do newspapers - paper routes)
    Equal Employment laws
    Sexual Harassment laws
    Tax laws (there are zillions of exemptions just for Congress critters and Executive Branch employees)
    Traffic Laws
    Banking laws
    and on and on and on.............

Remember "All citizens are equal. Some citizens are more equal than others"

with regards to George Orwell.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

They wouldn't do badly. You don't have time to do drugs if you're chasing aides and interns.:)

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

You know I will have to declare ignorance (again). I hadn't even considered this. Thanks for shaking me back to reality, seems the age of the statesman left us long ago.

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Are you kidding me? Blow fuels the intern chasing.

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Northwoods Posted:
    Can you provide additional reference to this statement? For example, how is Congress not complying with Child Labor Laws?

I do know that Congress members will get breaks on traffic tickets. That I don't agree with one bit. I believe they are not too good to get a traffic ticket if they violate a traffic regulation. They certainly have the money to pay the fines.

Congress members do pay taxes, and have been since 1984, so I'm wondering how they are exempt from tax law.

I just need some clarification to understand where you are coming from on this.

9. gocritter

gocritter New Member

Fact, you can check this yourself. Congress, the senate, their family, and entire staff can trade stock on any information learned from any hearings or other information gathered from their official or unoffical duties. This is a felony for the rest of us just ask martha stewart and soon to be mark cubin.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I had to be drug tested to drive a lawnmower (big one, top speed 15 mph) for the city of Anchorage, cops and firemen do not to drive cars and trucks in excess of 100 mph. The test "violates their privacy". I have advocated urinalysis for government officials for 18 years now. Who cares what I think.

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That's pretty much the way it is...