Confused

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Gun Forum' started by pl978, Sep 7, 2013.

1. pl978

pl978 New Member

My dad renewed his FID about 54 days ago and I thought that the police had 40-45 days to either approve him or deny him, but we haven't heard anything from them. He also needs it ASAP for hunting. I've tried contacting them, but had no success because I can only leave a message to the police department and not talk to them directly. What should I do? Any help would be very helpful thanks.:confused:

2. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Call the DCJIS. And have ready the following:

Name
     Date of birth
     Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
     Driver’s license number (for identity verification)

I'll PM you their number.

3. pl978

pl978 New Member

Hey Mason I called today and the DCJIS said that the application is still at the local police department and it's currently in the process of being approve or denied. WHY!!!?? It's been about 60 days now and the DCJIS told me that once they receive it then it's still going to take them around 2 1/2 weeks to approve it. I am very curious and pissed off about why they haven't said anything yet. Do you think they denied him and what should we do? He's on a 2 week vacation for hunting, but it looks like he'll be spending it at home. Would going to court be a good idea? Thanks.

4. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

I'd hold off on court.

Call the PD and talk to the Chief to find out what the hold up is.

If it was going to be denied, they should have said something by now.

Definitely contact GOAL.org.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You're in Massachusetts?
    Wait times are currently typically anywhere from 3 months to a year.
    If you're a GOAL member call them and tell them this is the type of sh!t that they do Nothing about and the reason I am no longer a member. After GOAL does Nothing for you, call the NRA and tell them the same.
    Unless your father is willing to hire his own attorney all he can do is suck it up and wait. Welcome to Massachusetts.
    Make damn well sure your father doesn't leave the house with any of his guns after the 90 day grace period.
    Just so you know my buddy went in 4 months early. His 90 days is up next week. He's been told it will be another 3-4 months.
    I intend to be in NC before my renewal is due. I don't even need a license down there because they still represent the USA.

6. pl978

pl978 New Member

Yes im in mass. what exactly is GOAl and the 90 days? I think we'll just wait to see what happens but, he's missing this years hunting season. The past few renewals that he did took only about a month, but I don't know what's going on this year.

7. pl978

pl978 New Member

I'll try to call the PD and talk to the chief. Seems like everything is machine operated and you just have to leave a message.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

GOAL is the gun owners action league. They are essentially the Massachusetts branch of the NRA.
    Your father's license is no longer valid after 90 days past the renewal date (his birthday). During the 90 days he cant purchase anything but he can still carry.After that ,because of the illegal delays he is being subject to, his guns are all illegal. If he leaves the house with a gun he can be arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm and could spend a year in prison as well as lose all his guns.
    Your father should know all this.

9. pl978

pl978 New Member

He knows a little. His english is poor and so I always have to help out. The PD tried denying him the first time he went to his first renewal appointment, but then I talked to them and so they let him submit his application. He's been owning a FID and guns for 20+ yrs with a clean record. To me it seems like they have something racial towards him, he's an alien and not a citizen yet by the way.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ah well there is the key. Does he have a green card?

11. pl978

pl978 New Member

Yes he has a green card and he's been living in the U.S. for the longest time owning guns and a FID. It's not his first time renewing, he's done it plenty of times. Before the law changed he had to send his application to the HQ, but this year he has to renew it through the PD. I'm not sure what's going on....

12. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Has he moved to a new city? If not, what city do you live in?

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well What it really comes down to is the discretion of the OIC. The truth of the matter is it is up to the chief whether he is denied or not in the end.
    The wait times have been ridiculous for everyone. A change in chiefs is all it takes to lead to a denial. All you can do is wait and see. If he is denied you can appeal and maybe use the extended wait against them.

14. pl978

pl978 New Member

No, we have not moved to a new city. We live in Fitchburg and my dad's been living here for about 25+yrs, I've been living here since I was born too and that's 18yrs.

15. pl978

pl978 New Member

I still haven't called the chief yet, but this wait is ridiculous! They need to at least notify us with what's going on! I will call the chief tomorrow, but I doubt it will make any difference. I just applied for my FID about 2 weeks ago too so hopefully my application goes smooth. The chief must be a real a**hole.

16. pl978

pl978 New Member

Still haven't got anything about my dad's fid renewal and nothing on my fid application!!!!!! its been wayyyy past 45 days for both of us! What the hecks going on I call the DCJIS every week to check and they always tell me its still at the local PD.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Bad zip code; move to a nicer one.

18. pl978

pl978 New Member

At this point should I take this to court? It's been about 3 months since the date of the fid renewal. They have never ever contacted us saying he got denied or approve? I called to check about 3 weeks ago and the chief told me it's still pending. I've been calling the DCJIS every week and they just tell me the same thing. Any clue on what I should do? I'm also waiting on my fid application and it's past 50 days since I submitted it.