Concealment

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ploofy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

How many of you own a set of Acupat, Marpat, or Cadpat?

Whats the best camo for most North American deciduous terrain? Desert? Urban? If you don't have anything official, how are you going to conceal yourself or your shelter if you bugout? How important is it?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

None but..................I do know the difference between concealment and cover! :cool:

My daughter does have a hoodie.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

3. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I'd much rather not need cover at all than risk the possibility of becoming soft cover.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, I rely on 8 ft of soil, with plants growing on it. And a ghillie suit if I really need it.

What is it that you plan on looking LIKE?

5. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I'll find out when I get there. Till then, knowing everything on the subject would be nice.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have woodland and three color desert. Just one set of each and it's more for general principle than anything else. However, I do have a fair amount of muted colors and earth tone clothing.

I'm too old to be all cammied out. If SHTF, I shoot just fine in old blue jeans and flannel.

7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Don't count on being able to ghost your way around.

It would be MUCH better to be as normal-looking as possible. Now, I'm not saying to put on some sandals and a Hawaiin shirt; just wear something you could wear to walmart without standing out. Maybe some cargo-pants and an appropriate shirt / jacket, in some casual tones. Trying to sneak around in camo is a great way to get shot or arrested, when someone thinks you are up to no good, or you surprise the hell out of someone :p .

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Oh yeah, I've got an old field jacket and liner. ;)

Now I may be wrong and it won't be the first or last time, but I think "blending in" is the best camouflage.

If you're in a business district and the normal attire is a suit and tie, take a guess what I'll be wearing. I want to be eminently forgettable and inconspicuous, just another suit.

If it's a small town, jeans, boots and flannel will do and they better not be shiny new boots or designer jeans.

In the mountains, I want to look like a local, not a weekender up to ski the powder.

Anyway, you get the idea.

9. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Oh, this is for purely after SHTF, the only time I put on my (BD/AC)U's is when I'm going paintballing or it's the uniform of the day. Would it be truly possible to "blend in" in such an occasion, when theres a possibility that most people will be considered prey by the people you're trying to conceal yourself from? And ghosting isn't as hard as it seems if you can keep out of the line of sight or at least hold still when you're in it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

As far as stealthy ninja that aint happen at least for me, the best shelter I can muster in the back woods is still pretty hard to see when your walking around. Most of my cloths are light tan or OD green, and my hunting cloths are the older style army BDU's with Cargo netting, I also have some mossy oak camo for fall hunting.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I use a level 2 cloak of invisibility.

12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Well if you're talking about after the zombie apocalypse where there are only like a million people left alive, then I'd say wear whatever will let you blend in with your environment because that could be beneficial. This is assuming everyone left alive is either a BG out to harm, or is someone who is expecting everyone else to do them harm--in both cases, the ability to more easily avoid being targeted and sightened could be beneficial.

Still, I don't put too much stock into it.

13. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

your camo should MATCH your surrounding environment.

green leafy woods/woodland pattern, lots of trees/treebark, desert/sand colored pattern, snow/white pattern, crowded city/suit and tie

14. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Or even just a couple months after a total social breakdown when groups have been formed and people decide that it's time for the status quo to be changed. It'd be a lot easier to duck out into the woods and apply the SERE tactics than engage a small army. Or assuming plan A-Y has failed, and your best hope is to just hunker down and go unseen for a couple months and wait for all the opfor to leave the area so you can move, what blends in best in the woods, urban, tundra (anywhere theres snow could possibly get whited out when there are no snow plows or artificial sources of heat), or desert?

15. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

So what patterns work best? Cadpat? Marpat? Acupat? Something from Gander Mountain or Dicks?

16. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Really like this thread

17. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

brand names are irrelevant

18. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

No they aren't. You have a Soldier from the Marines and the Army laying on the ground next to each other. One of them is going to be easier to see.

19. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

10 characters.

Attached Files:

20. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

pends on the type of camo and its use

usmc has digital woodland and desrt
    usa's new digital useless except for desrt.