Concealment in a hotel room

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Malan35, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

I have a quick question for you guys. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks and don't yet have my concealed weapons permit and understand the laws regarding me keeping a gun in my car. But I will be staying in a motel in a not so great area and was wondering if it was legal for me to possess a firearm in the hotel room. Maybe an extension of your home kind of thing? Let me know what you guys think.

2. ahole

ahole New Member

I dont know about you but i always have a nice IMI Jericho with me. I have had some issues before in slum rooms when on the road working. better safe than sorry. As long as you dont go around advertising that your packing you should not have any issues from LE

3. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

Its a small town and I will only be spending 3-4 hours in the room sleeping. So thats what I was thinking. Rest of the time I will be out on the trails!

4. ahole

ahole New Member

hell small towns you normally dont have **** to worry about unless you piss off one of there two officers. I personally prefer small towns ppl are normally nicer there

5. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

You can say that again

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Legality depends ENTIRELY on where the small town is located-

You did not tell us that- and my crystal ball is in the shop for an oil change.

In GENERAL- a hotel room is considered your residence, but if you are asking us for legal advice, we are just as qualified to perform open heart surgery!

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

True, but the hotel operator has the authority to enter the room at any time...it's their property, after all. Doubtful that anyone would do it without probable cause to do so, however.

8. utf59

utf59 New Member

You'll need to read up on the laws wherever you are.

Personally, when I use a hotel, I keep a lockbox in a drawer in the room for my gun (if I'm not wearing it) and any other valuables. That isn't proof against a real thief, but it's enough to keep the cleaning crew honest.

Many hotels have small safes in their rooms. I don't mind using those as long as they are the kind where I can set the combination myself.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a door alarm in case someone tries to sneak in while you are sleeping. You dont know how many keys are out there and who has them.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Common sense should prevail here.
    Laws, ordinances, policies ... are not immutable.
    Personal safety is.
    I'd take that firearm with me.
    Life is very important here.

11. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

Thanks for everyone's advice! I'll do some more research when I get the chance.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I stayed in a hotel in vivian louisiana working on pipelines, had a huge problem with housekeeping stealing my beer out of the mini fridge

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Damned house keeping, ive never trust them no matter how fancey the hotel is.

14. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

Very true. I don't trust the closet safes 100% either

15. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

I live in Vegas and occassionally stay in a room. You'd have to be dumb to leave your firearm in a hotel parking lot. Far more likely to get stolen from your car anyhow. Bring it in, dont advertise, PROFIT. Seriously though, if anyone knows you have it, that means it saved your life and for me I'll deal with the possible consequences ALIVE.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's not an issue for any hotel that has electronic locksets with key cards. The key is reprogrammed for every new guest and the lockset in reprogrammed by the newly programmed key the first time the key is inserted. An old key will no longer work.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are master pass cards for the hotel employees. The maids, maintenance and security all have them.

18. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I almost always have a pistol with me in a hotel room. My wife was against it for a long time until we had a guy banging on the door in NM one time and noticed that the security bar was missing from that room. Might have been known to the big guy outside, might not, but I was glad I got my 6 year old stopped before he just opened up like he would at home.

19. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

Maybe or maybe not!

I always double lock my hotel door and I really don't think a hotel/motel manager will be knocking at your door asking you if there is a firearm in the room. Because you don't have a CC Permit, the thing I would worry about is what happens to you if you have to defend yourself inside the room and you kill someone with the gun. Will you be prosecuted for having an illegal firearm? I think this is something you need to research if you are that concerned. :confused:

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

What can be a sticky legal issue in some states is the process of moving your pistol from the car to the hotel room without a concealed weapons permit. Where it may be fine in the car, and fine in the room, you could be charged for carrying from the car to the room. I know it sounds silly, but that issue has arisen in Florida concerning condos. Where it would not be an issue at home, where you are on your own property from the car to the house, it can be a problem in a public space.

Personally, I would be discrete and not worry about it. While in the room I would leave the gun locked in my baggage where there would be evidence of a burgulary if you gun went missing.