Concealed or Open Carry and when

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by DCriswell, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCriswell

DCriswell New Member

2. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I live in an open carry state. I currently do not have my CCW (will in the coming months). However, I do open carry in a couple situations. Working in my yard, hiking, hunting, etc.

I am personally not comfortable enough wearing it in public places a lot....non-carry folks gawk to much at others that do it in my area...at least for my comfort level....will see how I feel in a few months though

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My rule is carry concealed in all instances in environments that are not accustomed to open carry. Others will argue this, but I don't believe we should try to prove a point by open carry and making people nervous. Besides I don't want to make myself a target.

4. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I like both open carry and concealed carry. I like in an open carry state and I will occasionally open carry and it doesn't bother me. It really depends on what I'm doing. Most of the time I CC, but its only because I haven't invested in a good OC holster.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I made it through about the first 2 paragraphs, and the guy sounded so much like a mall ninja, a la gecko45, I just couldn't handle it.

DCriswell, I'm a native Mississippian, from Sturgis. I currently live here in West Monroe LA, where I can't afford a carry permit, because it's been priced out of my reach.

However, this is an open carry state. I OC everywhere, and on occasion, I do break the law and conceal. Not proud of it, and not bragging, it's just that sometimes prudence is the better option.

Maintain situational awareness.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

If you open carry, you will be the first one shot, I read it on the internet, so it must be true :)

I do both, general everyday non work activities, IWB holster but exposed (shirt tucked in). Sometimes CC, sometimes OC.

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

For me:
    Concealed Carry - ALWAYS, ANYWHERE LEGAL!!!!
    Open Carry - Never done it and probably won't unless I am hunting.

Where I live both are legal.

8. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Hasnt oc vs cc been beaten to death on here and other forums?

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

My biggest Bitch and complaint on the matter, is that I would wish people to stop spreading myths about it, and if they don't want to do it themselves, fine, but respect other people's right to do it.

It's become very similar to religious arguments for me. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone just got along and stopped Pissing on other people's chosen method?

Oh, I'm not pointing fingers in this thread. It's remained remarkably civil. But if any of you have seen my other posts on the matter... I could really care less what carry method anyone chooses...just don't JUDGE others, calling them attention hounds, glory whores, macho wannabes, or imply that they're compensating for lacking in the manhood department. Because, they might just be a single Dad making barely over minimum wage with other, more pressing concerns than buying their way into the CC club, but yet, are still concerned with being equipped to protect themselves and their child.

10. DCriswell

DCriswell New Member

I was not trying to stir up controversy but although others have been thru this before, those of us in Mississippi have just gained open carry as an option. I too have been amazed that those of us who believe in the second amendment have been so easily divided over how someone chooses to carry.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont see any advantage to advertising. I fully support and encourage open carry. Makes me less of a focus if im around oc'ers. I dont like standing out and making a spectacle of myself.

I do like oc as it lets me not worry about my shirt riding up or a gun showing now and then. It also lets me carry larger guns as there is no real need to conceal most times.

12. cvia

cvia New Member

Virginia is an open carry state. I do have my CCP. I only open carry around the house topically. I do OC to stores and such but I mostly CC. In a big crowd you don't want people know you have a gun.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Mall ninjas. Lol. Greatest description of what it looks like to most observers I have ever read. Congratulations for hitting the nail on the head.

Open carry is a tool. Concealed carry is a tool. One is Harbor Freight and the other is Snap On.

One is a happy meal in the drive thru, other is breakfast in bed at a five star hotel. Both provide calories, one has a better view out the window.

Display is what we are talking about. In nature, display tactics always means two things: mating ritual, or to influence a possible soon to be fight. As I wish to neither influence a fight in Wal-Mart, or find a romantic hook up in the hardware isle, why walk into Wal-Mart with the" look at me" neon sign flashing?

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  14. rickster

rickster New Member

I respect everyone's personal decision to either OC or CC but I do agree that OC draws unnecessary attention and if SHTF, it makes you the primary target. Therefore, unless I'm hunting, I choose and recommend CC.

15. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

The only situation I open carry is when it's basically the norm to do so and usually when I'm either in or just outside some whistle-stop town at the edge of nowhere. In city limits, even if its legal, no way. I prefer not to advertise in front of that many people not used to seeing it. I generally don't care what others do, even if they're consciously trying to get some shock value by OC. Not a fan of that tactic, but it is a free country....more or less.

Just my completely solicited opinion.

16. towboater

towboater Active Member

I live in a very small town, and most of the people here know me. I can OC here with no problems. But when I go Krogering in the nearest big town I CC. I like being sneeky that way. :D

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

It can draw attention in the wrong places at the wrong times, like that idiot I read about it in news who tried to OC TWO damn handguns and a rifle into a movie theater right after the Aurora Colorado shooting. Imbecile. Complete imbecile.

But as far as it making you a target, that's a damn myth I'm doing my dead level best to **** all over.

18. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I also am from Virginia and I normally conceal carry but occasionally open carry. I ran into a co-worker at Walmart one day and I was open carrying and she was like why are you carrying that and I said its much lighter than carrying a police officer around with me. I also explained that from the time I walked in the store, someone has been monitoring my every movement throughout the store which also makes me feel safe because if I slipped and fell it should be on surveillance camera and I can use that in my law suit.

19. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

In your opinion.

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

There are those in the OC community that just don't like the idea of needing to ask permission form the government to have their rights. Pricing a carry lic out of the reach of an average citizen is an example of placing intentional limits on the 2A....At least some might say. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.