concealed holsters

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by smokehouse, Oct 19, 2011.

1. smokehouse

smokehouse New Member

I need a good holster for a S&W MP9, for concealed carry. I don't like wearing a belt. Any suggestions?

2. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Make your own from kydex. All you need is an oven, a 12x12 piece of .93 kydex (thinner is ok but feels a bit flimsy), a plastic bag (2 gal ziplock freezer bag) a vacuum, some tape, an old piece of sheet to wrap around the kydex before it goes into the bag (protect from melting) and a dremel tool. Follow the steps in this video. Easy! And a nice holster for under $30 custom fit to your weapon.

Custom Made Kydex Holster

I also have a Galco IWB holster that's very nice ($35.00!) for my P250 .40

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

If you aren't going to wear a belt, you have essentially ruled out any holster on your waist as a way to effectively carry your gun. The best on-waist holster in the world can't make up for a lousy (or non-existent) belt.

My next suggestion for a full-size pistol would be a shoulder holster.

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have several holsters but it wasn't until the day before
    yesterday when I decided, because I live in sunny Florida
    and wear beltless shorts, to get for my 45 and my .380
    two Remora holsters. Man, oh man! Am I glad I got them.
    You can position the holsters anywhere and they will stay
    in place. Jump up and down and still they will stay in place.
    Couldn't be happier where holsters are concerned.

[ame=http://youtu.be/PqlS95D8SNc]Remora IWB Holster Review - YouTube[/ame]

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Pretty good video, the only problem with the all Kydex holsters is they have a habit of cracking in the extreme bends for the belt/pants loop during the winter months. The thicker Kydex does slow this down some.

I use horse hide for the body side and only use Kydex on the outside of the gun. The horse hide is a lot more comfortable against your body during the summer months when a undershirt is not an option, I also leave more material for a body shield against the slide of the pistol.

You can build one of these for around $40-45 depending on the fasteners used, how nice of a piece of horse hide and how many you are planning on building. Just remember if it is not quite what you want the first time, all you have to do is reheat the kydex and form it again. Pay attention to the trigger guard as this is where most of the retention comes in and front sight to eliminate snagging during draws. You can also form an extra mag pouch or two at the same time.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

+1 on the Remora holsters. :cool:

7. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

It is just my opinion, but I realy like crossbreed. I have one supertuck for my Glocks, one for my Kimber, and I just ordered a minituck for my P238. I would recomend wearing a belt though, it does help to distibute the weight and keep the holster in place.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I second the motion for a good belt. A good belt can make a so-so holster feel good & no belt or a so-so belt can make a great holster feel bad.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have had a 5.11 TDU belt for a few years and its the best CC belt i have ever owned..not expensive either. Worth every penny

10. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

I highly recommend a belt from The Beltman. They are Awesome!!! Makes carrying any size gun easy.

11. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

MrWray you got a link buddy??

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Quite a few sites have them, opticsplanet.com is one or you can go to 5.11tactical.com...opticsplanet has them for 14.99. Black,green,or coyote brown.
    You wouldnt regret getting one
    102B7A090082079F9F0953FCDC200F52.jpg

13. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Jeez!!I dropped close to 60 on my crossbreed belt

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And don't forget the 30 weight motor oil and ball bearings.

15. crackshot

crackshot New Member

Motor oil and ball bearings? What are you putting together?

As far as the cracking in cold weather, it's Kydex. The same stuff the more expensive holsters are made from. I have an IWB holster so the actual Kydex clip would see very little extreme weather.

It works for me, was an inexpensive option and may work for him.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Haven't you seen Fletch?

17. crackshot

crackshot New Member

You know, I thought that sounded familiar!

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Have you looked at Milt Sparks VMII with the tuckable clips? I am not one to go with out a belt though. Ever holster I own is for a belt. I live here in Az and know how hot it can get during the summer. I wear shorts most of the summer with a light shirt over my VMII.

19. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

I recently bought an Uncle Mike's IWB holster.

It is made out of soft, foamy neoprene that makes it padded and quite comfortable. Also has a pretty sturdy clip that will keep a good hold on pants or a belt that makes for a really easy draw ;)

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Vid guy was pushing the eye, ear protection made sure to use gloves but was wearing ...I have no idea what those fugly low rise toe sock things....That caused a near fatal monitor accident.:p