Concealed handgun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by dabean0819, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dabean0819

dabean0819 New Member

I'm going to get my concealed carry license soon and I'm looking for good-reliable handgun.

I was wondering if the CZ 83 380ACP is good concealed gun to carry around?
    Any suggestions?

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What a large question, dabean! You can get answers from every direction. I'll start here:

1) What handguns have you actually tried before? I have bought every handgun of mine, even carry guns, based on reviews and research only. Then after using them for a good long while have sold a couple. Nothing like personal experience. Have you rented any at your local range? You usually have to have a friend or bring at least one gun of your own to rent a gun.

2) You should decide on a round first. At least that will focus your choices. I regularly carry 3 guns with 3 different rounds (.45acp Kimber Ultra Raptor II, .380acp Ruger LCR, .38spl+p S&W 642). The most widely discussed (argued) topic is "What round is best?" .45acp vs. 9mm is big. .380acp has some issues, too.

3) How are you going to carry? Different methods of carrying dictate different kinds of guns to some degree. Pocket carry requires mouse guns, generally in .380acp or 9mm. IWB or OWB opens it up to just about anything.

4) What are your thoughts on safeties, external and internal? Different platforms have different types of safety devices. Most people support carrying the gun with a round in the chamber ready to rock. What safeties on the gun would make you feel comfortable with a bullet facing your foot or your leg or your crotch all day?

All of that said, I have no opinion on your CZ83. Personally, if I were going to get a gun that size, I would want it in 9mm. Any .380 gun had better be really small, IMO, or the tradeoff isn't worth the loss in power.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Everything I have heard is that CZ makes some great guns. I wouldn't be concerned about buying one I found interesting. In fact one of the CZ 9mm is on my short list of next acquisitions.

Go try out different guns. There are lots of 380's out there if you want to carry that round. I carry an S&W 380 daily myself. It's light, thin, accurate, and disappears in my pocket.

4. dabean0819

dabean0819 New Member

thanks guys for the suggestions

I forgot to write that I want to find a .380ACP or a .38spl

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just as you have shoes/boots for different applications, you should consider that one firearm may not be appropriate for all conditions.

I have at least 6 different carry firearms. As I've said before, it is kinda hard to hide a full size 1911 in your Speedo.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow. Instead of adding clarity for us to help you more effectively, you made it more difficult. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but now you can see that you have even more decisions to make.

5) Which type of action do you want on your first carry gun? Revolver or semi-auto? There are dozens of threads here that discuss the pros and cons of each. Eventually you will probably want more than one of each type, but for your first, you need to decide which platform best fits your needs. I chose semi-auto because I wanted more rounds and I felt I could practice enough to feel comfortable with the increased complexity.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend either a J frame revolver like the Smith and Wesson 642 or a K frame revolver like the Smith and Wesson model 19, model 65, or model 66. For .380 ACP the CZ you have in mind looks to be a good choice, I would also recommend the Ruger LCP or maybe the Ruger LC9 (if you're willing to get a 9mm).

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

WOW, that is going to start a whole lot of debates.

But with it is going to boil down to is what you feel comfortable with and like to shoot.