Concealed carry while cycling

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CourtJester, Jun 3, 2014.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

So I cycle a lot in the spring, summer, and fall. 99% of the time it is on back county roads in the middle of nowhere. I've not had any issues with people but if been chased by several small dogs and and had a damn big German Shepard on my heels yesterday. It got close enough to just nip my leg before I get a little down hill section and pulled away.

So what type of concealed carry options are there for someone in spandex that isn't I huge elastic belt holding in heat when it's already 90 degrees out? It wouldn't really have to be completely hidden either. If it stuck out a little on the right side, the chances of someone seeing it would be slim to none. The smallest hand gun I have is a Ruger SR40C, so it may require a purchase of something a little smaller too. But a reason to buy another fire arms wouldn't exactly break my heart either.

I'm open to any options or ideas.

Thanks all,

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I would suggest loosing the spandex, if not for CC, do it for humanity!

3. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I'm not a cyclist, but my dad is. He always has a bag mounted on the frame that he carries some extra supplies in, maybe you could use one of those for a gun

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Cycling cargo shorts are what I wear(*). The pockets aren't huge, but plenty big for a 380 or subcompact 9. Or you might consider some kind of fanny pack or similar.

* And they cover the spandex. God help anyone who would be so unfortunate as to see me wearing spandex.

5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Squirt gun with Windex. Stops most dogs in their tracks.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

7. SB777

SB777 New Member

I carry a pepper spray dispenser in one of the back pockets in my jersey. I've been bitten twice while biking and have carried one ever since. I would question how accurate or effective you could shoot a firearm looking behind you while steering a bike with one hand. Shoot a cloud of pepper spray in the general direction of an attacking dog behind you and the dog will suck it in. Probably won't have to worry about him coming near you ever again.

I also remember an article years ago in Bicycling magazine saying to just squeeze a shot from your water bottle into the dogs face and most dogs will stop coming at you. I never tried that one. Trust the pepper spray.

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The water works on timid dogs. But it just isses off the mean ones.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

a cyclist shoulder bag? MzGrn stopped me from wearing Fanny Packs reversed the first year we were dating. There are plenty of "Man Bags" out there. I have two from "Bear Paw," prob. a S.E. Asian knock off. The larger of the two could fit a full sized 1911 and at least 2 spare mags in the main pocket(3 zippers) or my LC9 and all my spare mags(7), or my S&W 439 and 4 Mags, my smaller one fits my LC9 and 4-5 spare mags, Colt Cobra and 3 speed loaders, or my 439 and 3 mags...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Get a fanny pack and put a mouse gun in it.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Bill, he's just riding his bike, he's not going to need to fight WW2 with it.

A mouse gun in a fanny pack should be plenty.

12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If your city/county/state allows it, sure.

Otherwise, I would go with the mouse gun in the fanny pack instead.

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Good point ...

- wear the pistol in a holster on a belt next to your naked skin (put this on first) ...

- then put cargo shorts on over it ...

- lose the spandex ... .

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When I ride I wear cycling shorts under loose fitting cotton shorts with pockets. I am able to carry my S&W J Frame in a pocket holster in my front pocket. I sometimes carry a NAA Mini Revolver in 22 mag instead for longer rides. Either gun is well built. The NAA just disappears though.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Firing a gun at a dog while riding a bike is not the greatest idea. I have a bag attached to the bar. I keep a knife, stun gun and a small pepper spray called Whoop *** in it. 17% pepper. Most animals will take off if you light up the stun gun in the air. I dont think I would chance it but I have heard of them running off bears. Keep in mind pepper spray is only good for one use. It will clog up the nozzle after it is sprayed and dries. The gun is in my cargo shorts but could go in the sport bag instead of the other stuff. I used a fanny pack in the front when I had a recumbent. A spray bottle with ammonia also works.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I agree. If you are serious enough about cycling to wear spandex, you may feel constrained by extra stuff attached to you. (It bugs me in any workout). I used to cycle a lot without a CCW, but today I'd use a frame holster.

I also agree ^^^ that non-lethal is better against the 4 legged.

17. TankTop

18. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I would want the weapon on my person not on my bike.

19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Extra water bottle or a suit gun with high ammonia windex.

It is very hard to aim while riding the bike, particularly if you are trying to sprint away from a dog. A squirt gun or water bottle are good because the ammonia vapor is enough to bother and deter the dog.

20. TankTop

Bicycles used to have the shifters mounted on the frame, that is a very natural place to reach, more so than even your hip while cycling. I guess you could wear blue jeans and do an ankle mount...