Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jeffkaiser1989, Jul 5, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

Yes i know this is a well discussed topic but i wanted some opinions. I do intend on getting a concealed carry permit. But i am considering open carry for a short time. My state allows open carry but i have heard some horror stories of Police Harassment. So what are your guy's and gals thoughts?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Ive never been to Ohio, but I hear Toledo is kind of a ruff town? I'd rather carry concealed and let anybody who is wanting to do harm to you not have the upperhand on you.

3. jeffkaiser1989

Toledo earned the label "little Detroit" last year. The city has very few safe locations and i do not have the money to afford a 1 million dollar+ home in one of those community's. But that is a good point

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Attached Files:

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Id go the route that letting them think you are just a joe schmoe and can't defend yourself. If he sees a weapon on you and still wants trouble, then his weapon is probably bigger and he already has his hand on his???

6. jeffkaiser1989

probably. yea. and drum wtf is that????

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

That is the tea party members beating the senates *** come this 2014 ;)

Or a way of saying that this topic has been beaten like a dead horse.

8. jeffkaiser1989

lol yea im aware its a well discussed option. just looking for some advice.

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Yep, although the threads one can search for have already been discussed over and over, i prefer to read current threads and get opinions of people i 'know' and appreciate, more than strangers that have come and gone long ago.

10. jeffkaiser1989

Yea me to. Its better to get a current opinion than rely on an old one

11. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

So I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Are you saying that you shouldn't open carry because the bad guy see that you are open carrying he will have his weapon out first?
    IMO the bad guys weapon should aways be the first drawn. ( I feel that is what kind of makes it self defense lol)

Oh not meant to start an argument lol just wondering where you are coming from

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

QR code. Like a bar code but a lil different. If ya have a smart phone and a scanner app you an read what it says :p

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I've opened carried for years, no issues.. Even when we had to have LEOs around during home foreclosures and automobile repossession. As far as everyday Joes, I've had the evil eye a few times but far more ppl ask curious question, honestly most either don't notice or act as though they don't.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So lets say you are dining at Luby's restaurant and a pick-up truck comes driving through the window, and the driver gets out of his truck and starts blazing away at anyone and everyone in the place. Intent on killing everyone who looks at him. He sees you with a group of people at a table and sees your gun on your hip.

A- Does he overlook you and go on to the person sitting next to you....

or

B- Does he try and take you out before moving on to the 'un-armed'.......

There is always more than one kind of self-defense scenario. ;)

:cool:
    :cool:

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know of no one who open carries who has gotten shot because they open carry.

You guys are going to make me work, aren't you? I'll be watching this thread closely.

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I won't make you work.. ;) lmao

17. The1Monster

The1Monster New Member

Never heard of it myself. It'd be nice to see people actually use some form of sense instead of basing an opinion on what ifs.

If you drive a nice car, it may get stolen.

If you have a nice house, it may get robbed.

If you have a pretty girlfriend, she may cheat (goes both ways I reckon).

None of these are proven likelihoods, but you could what if them all to death.

I think the risk of being sought out or accosted by some gangster thug punk ***** because you open carry, is about as negligible as your car exploding in an accident because your keep a full tank of gas.

Control your risk factors, and do what feels most comfortable.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It's the middle of the night. The sound of breaking glass awakens you from a dead sleep. As you're grabbing your nightstand gun you see two people at the end of the hall. One has a rifle and the other one is carrying a sack. Which one do you shoot first?

19. Donn

Donn Active Member

So, ya think it'll rain tomorrow?

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would throw my lawn dart expertly at the one with the rifle. That is very different than open carrying. That is a confrontational, life threatening home invasion. Apples and oranges.

Thank you so much. I hope it cools off a little so I can have a dog shipped to me from LV.