Concealed Carry Verizon Store

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by stonesaver, Aug 6, 2013.

1. stonesaver

stonesaver New Member

So I was working near Hilliard, Ohio today and needed to pay the cell bill at the Verizon store. I wasn't carrying because Ohio doesn't recognize my LTCH permit from Indiana. But I will get the Utah soon and take care of that.Anyway, as I am walking to the door I notice the sticker on the right side window. "Concealed Carry Firearms are not allowed in the store", or similar phrasing.I pay the bill and ask the guy...."so you think that little sign is going to keep a BG with a gun out of your store?.He looks at me with a straight face and says..." Oh no, thats for the customers"... My immediate thought was, friend some concealed carry customer might save your life someday in this store, they would be your best friend if that ever happens.

2. 01bullitt

01bullitt New Member

Some people prefer a state of blissful ignorance, unexplainably..

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Sounds to me like he was saying employees might not have to adhere to the same rules maybe?
    ..Still stupid though...

4. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

A couple of things. Only the 11 X 14 signs are considered valid, and are you sure he wasn't being a little tounge in cheek? Seems like that was a joke, since it couldn't possibly their official policy......could it?

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't know that. Hmm.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

We've wooped on this ole hoss many times ---------------------
    If your carry is concealed STFU & do your business---

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

Not here in Michigan. Any sign the store/home owner posts is considered legal. The Verizon employee was likely adhering to the Company line. Worked 36 years for ATT. No firearms was in the Code of Conduct. Getting caught with one in the building was grounds for dismissal. Verizon might have a similar edict.

8. PapaRoush

PapaRoush New Member

Here in Ohio (where the op is taking about) that isn't true. Any clearly marked no gun sign holds the weight of law.

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ohio is one of the states that codifies anti-carry signage. While you don't have to use the sample sign, it would then be arguable that you didn't see a smaller posted sign, were you charged civilly (ignoring the sign is not criminal in Ohio) or your permit was threatened. However, any business owner can restrict access to firearms carriers as he wishes. So ANY sign carries the weight of law, and you can be asked to leave if they see you carrying, sign or not. To not exit the business immediately upon request is a Trespassing charge.

Lesson: Carry concealed. Don't brandish. Shut up.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

You mind if I share this story on Facebook?

11. Kraj

Kraj New Member

From what I've read on a open carry website verizon has a policy to follow what ever is state law. I cc there all the time and no signs here in mi.

12. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thats why I love Indiana, those signs have zero legal weight. I know you were in OH so Im not sure about thier laws. You did the right thing no matter how assbackwards it is.

13. stonesaver

stonesaver New Member

No problem

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

No. I have some experience with Verizon. I've actually dealt

with their CS, and they are this stupid, end of story.

15. PappaJim

PappaJim New Member

In Minnesota those signs are required if the store owner does not wish to allow Concealed Carry. I see them quite regularly. Like it was stated above, you have to comply with them or when asked to leave if you refuse you run the risk of a Trespass Charge. However, as Anti-American as the state of Minnesota has become in the last ten years, I have not yet heard of a single case of this being enforced and someone being charged. The only place I do business with that has one of these signs is the cable company. The wife has M.S. and is basically homebound so I deal with this stupidity every month for her while paying the bill so she can have cable and internet. It is the only store I will patronize if they have a NO FIREARMS ALLOWED sign. It turns my stomach every month when I have to secure my weapon in my truck before entering but we do things for those we love and I don't linger around the store, it's in and out as fast as I can.

16. grandpubba

grandpubba Member

Pappajim, if you're referring to xfinity formerly Comcast, you are able to pay online our over the phone, not sure you wasn't to us either way, I know some people don't like passing bills not in person.

17. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I cc'ed in my local Verizon store a couple month's ago and I made sure there were no signs before I entered and there wasn't. That would be in Arkansas.

18. zeke4351

zeke4351 New Member

That is why I carry these cards and leave them at such places.

Attached Files:

19. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A friend has found them at a range he frequents over in Tulsa but so far I have been unable to find any around here.

20. shorterj88

shorterj88 New Member

In SC, if the sign doesn't look exactly like this one (posted 40-60 inches high and away from each entrance), it's not legal and you can breeze right past it. It's actually a hobby of mine to spot the non-legit signs on businesses that THINK they are stopping law abiding citizens from protecting their store. So far I've only seen one lawful sign-it was actually at an NRA sponsored gun show, all the other ones have been feeble attempts to stop BGs and lawful carry folks.

image-2899673325.jpg