Concealed Carry - S&W 642 vs Ruger LCR vs S&W 640

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bf109, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

I want to get a small revolver for concealed carry and would like to hear your experience and recommendations.

FYI, I already have a HK P7PSP as CCW and will get a HK P2000sk (both 9mm) in the near future.

Meanwhile, I always want to get a revolver. Dry fired a S&W 642 in a gun store but found the DAO trigger very heavy. The S&W 686 has a much better trigger in DA but its size is not very practical for CC.

How does the Ruger LCR (38 and 357) compare to S&W 642/442 in terms of trigger pull/break, built quality and relliability? Also, how do you compare the S&W 60/640 to S&W 642? I know it's 8 oz heavier and is in stainless steel.

In addition, does the Ruger LCR have the similar internal lock as the S&W revolvers (except the no-lock model of S&W 642)?

Lastly, how do you CCW a small revolver? IWB holster or Pocket holster. I use the Milt-Sparks VM-2 for my HK P7PSP and found it comfortable. I imagine the width of a revolver is bigger than the 1.14inch HK P7.

Thanks.

2. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Hi there, I have a 642 S&W and love it! I like a all metal revolver myself, but I hear that the LCR is a nice one. I carry in a inside the waist band holster, and find it very easy to wear. Great for summer!

3. bf109

bf109 New Member

Trigger Pull DAO - How was it?

Thanks for your comment. How do you describe the DAO trigger pull on the 642? Will it become lighter after a long break in with dry firing?

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Well its not light. But it is smooth. I am accurate with it though. And I like a heavy trigger for carry. For example I often carry a sigma lol. I have learned that the 642 is very reliable. Also consistant.