Concealed carry rigs and my concerns at work

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by genesaika, Sep 9, 2013.

1. genesaika

genesaika New Member

OK so I mentioned carrying at work in a thread today and got more help then I expected, so I figured why not make a thread on the subject. So here I am!

First off my gun, or future gun as it is. I will be getting a Beretta px4 full size. I did a lot of research and didn't find many real problems with it and I handled it in a store recently and loved how it felt and the weight. Unfortunately I haven't shot one, only because I just found a place that claims to rent then last week, haven't called to confirm for monetary reasons. I'm pretty set on it though. I decided on a full size because the compacts felt awkward, tiny, and just wrong in my hands. This could be because I'm fairly new to handguns, but that's how I felt and I don't buy something unless I'm comfortable with it.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic which involves getting into the dirt, sand, grease, and often tight or awkward positions (upside down was mentioned). I have my concerns about safety in these conditions while carrying and would like some opinions.

Right now I'm looking at a blackhawk serpa cqc holster with the shoulder rig for it, maybe even a magazine and flashlight on the weak hand side. I figure the hard holster will help with accidental discharges and damage, plus the lock seems accessible and strong. The shoulder rig attaches to the belt for added security in those odd positions and it should keep things fairly close to me for getting in and out of those spots. I would wear 5.11 tactical carry shirts because they are well made and allow easy access to a shoulder holster, also they don't stain from grease!

The holster seems pretty versatile as well, so I could probably open carry on my belt while hunting or if I felt like it for some reason ( I'll warn my wife to hit me on the head if I'm not hunting lol), but can they be worn IWB? I looked at the website for an option and didn't find one. Being on a budget I'd rather only buy one holster, though I am looking at a foxx IWB.

Of course if there is anything you feel I should consider please tell me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, on particularly nasty jobs I would probably just leave the gun in the truck since it wouldn't do me much good inside of a machine anyways.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't forget what sweat will do to your firearm. You will want to break it down for cleaning pretty regularly and give it a wipe down on an even more regular basis.

3. genesaika

genesaika New Member

Good point I'll have to see how it goes, might be a once or twice a week thing. Hopefully it's not daily, but I could manage lol.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I have a relative in heavy equipment repair; he has that enhanced carry permit and carries daily. I'm not 100%, but I am under the impression that his firearm goes in the truck if he is to be working under something for a while, for the sake of keeping the pistol debris-free.

5. bwraven

bwraven New Member

I have a few Blackhawk SERPA's and am very impressed with with their retention capabilities and ease of drawing and re-holstering.

I recommend against shoulder holster rigs to my students as you inevitably cover yourself and anyone behind or beside you when you draw your firearm.

SERPA holsters are not designed to be used IWB. You would be unable to operate the release mechanism.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

From your comments you are not familiar with handguns or the responsibility of being armed. If you have not yet done so take a course in concealed carry.:)

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i work and have worked in the same field of repairing and maintaining equipment for many years now. there is no way i would carry while doing that type of work. the pistol regardless of what holster you had would always fine a way to be in the way.

climbing and crawling all over equipment, laying down on creepers and such would not be very comfortable with a pistol being carried.

personally i have never had a piece of equipment attack me or feel the need for a pistol when working on them. well maybe a few times!

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

I own your choice in a gun, as well as a few others (retired FFL ) and I would be concerned about fouling that gun with chemicals and grime.

You don't eat corn cut off the cob with a soup spoon, or suck up mashed potatoes and gravey through a straw. Why carry your favorite gun into somewhere that is inappropriate?

Get a small pocket pistol like a Rugar LCP , put it in a pocket holster and a zip lock bag and go about your business. Possibly put the gun and bag inside holster for better retention in your pocket.

LCP comes in a polished chrome version that might help fight corrosion. I own one.

You will not find a smaller, more reliable pistol.

9. genesaika

genesaika New Member

I feel taking a concealed carry class would be rather redundant. I'm rather well trained in multiple martial arts, which I believe teach roughly the same thing, and it's all common sense, Also basic gun safety covers a bit too.

I am not very familiar with handguns, but I have shot many. When I say I'm not familiar with them I mean I haven't had the chance to shoot them anywhere near as often as I would like. This will be remedied before I even think about getting a ccw permit.

I have thought very seriously about not carrying at work and I am torn. Most of my work is in New Orleans and I would rather be armed there, but I Also know that mechanic work makes carrying a much more difficult prospect, which is why I posted the question.

As far as the shoulder holster being sub optimal, yes I realize that it puts the firearm in a position that is not as safe as on a hip and it is impossible to not sweep people on your weak side when you draw. It is the only safe way I have come up with to carry a firearm at work though, because the firearm is tucked away under your arm there is less chance of it getting hung up on something.

I'm still debating if I will carry at work or not and I appreciate all opinions on the matter.

AR10, yes I am rather worried about debris getting into the firearm, but keeping it in a shoulder holster under a thick shirt like the 5.11 tactical one would stop most of it and the bit that does get through I would hope wouldn't be an issue. Again this will have to be checked, because I'm not sure.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[ame]http://youtu.be/9ki26Scr0Wc[/ame]

Please get the training.

11. genesaika

genesaika New Member

12. Axxe55

firearms are not martial arts. totally different. you can't shoot someone with a foot or hand in karate or judo.

there is no such thing as too much training when it concerns firearms, and CC classes don't just teach about the firearms, but the legal aspects. you need to be aware of what you can or can't do legally when carrying a firearm.

learning from the classes should not be something after the fact of carrying, but way before ever carrying. you even said yourself that you were new to pistols, and this is even readon more that i urge you to get some training.

i work on heavy equipment as well, and i can honestly say, there is no way i would carry while working on my person. i would find it to be too uncomfortable and possibly even unsafe, given the manner a mechanic has to work in doing his job.

13. ScottA

I have not participated in any martial arts training, so I cannot tell you what the difference is. But I am very concerned about equating training of one discipline to another under any circumstances, let alone in a context of life and death choices.

For example, would you trust a family practitioner to do heart surgery? They have both had extensive medical training.

Or how about the person who says a bond and a stock are the same. They are both financial instruments, aren't they?

Or what if the Marines spent all their training on hand to hand combat, then handed their men and women carbines and said "it's just like hand to hand".

Please get the training.

Check here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

14. genesaika

genesaika New Member

That first comment reminds me a lot about the argument most gun grabbers use to justify banning guns. The fact is for a martial artist it is incredibly easy to kill someone. The only real difference is range. Plus martial arts is a dark more dedicated study in morals and safety then any concealed carry class. Martial arts is a lifelong study in proper defense and when to use those defenses while a concealed carry class is a few weeks? Maybe a few months.

I agree that the legal aspect is a bonus, but I don't feel I should pay and use up the very little free time I have on something that is available publicly for free.

15. genesaika

genesaika New Member

I'm not suggesting that martial arts offers some magical insight into using firearms. I'm saying the it offers the same or better instruction in conflict resolution and avoidance. That coupled with a strong knowledge of gun safety, offers the same benefits of taking a concealed carry class.

16. Axxe55

i am sorry but i have to disagree. my reasoning has nothing to do with the politics of guns or gun grabbers. yes a person well trained in martial arts can kill another person. but realistically how many people truly reach that level? if i had to guess, very few.

you seem to have your mind made up as to how you are going to go about this, and i feel any further discussion on my part would be wasting yours and my time. have a nice day.

17. ScottA

It would not surprise me at all that well trained martial artists are better prepared for conflict resolution.

Please take the class.

18. genesaika

genesaika New Member

I still don't feel like y'all have offered me enough reason why I need to take the class. I seem to have everything cover with the exception of the laws which are available to the public.

After work I have an average of 3 hours to spend and I just don't see the benefit of using them on this class, assuming I can get a class for after 6 -7 pm that wouldn't mind me possibly missing a day, work often requires me to leave town or work 19+ hours a day.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Members of my family has been in the transmission business for close to 50 years. None of them carry a gun on the job. Two of the members of my family that run transmission shops are retired LEO. They do keep guns on hand but not on their person. One keeps a shotgun in his toolbox in the building room. They all have a pistol of some fashion in the office. My father was robbed at gunpoint. He and his wife were in the office and a guy busts into the office with a pistol. My father is a retired LEO. He didn't try to fend off the robber because he was concerned his wife would panic. He just paid the robber off and dialed 911. The police caught the robber in the act two days later.

In a shop environment a robber who has put any thought into the robbery is going to have the upper hand, even if everyone in the shop is armed. I have worked in auto shops myself. When someone drives up I don't think "is this guy a threat?" I am sizing him up as a customer.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I really don't understand why you want to carry a firearm. In close quarters your deadly martial arts training would be better suited. :D