Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys kind of a newbie question, but I’m new to carrying. I carry IWB appendix carry. It’s kind of uncomfortable, is it normal for carrying to be uncomfortable? Also what do y’all find to be the most comfortable IWB carry position that works with sitting and standing? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more you carry, the more comfortable it gets, within reason. I find that 3-4 o'clock is the most comfortable.

What holster are you using, have you tried more than one?
I just got my first one it’s from “we the people” so no I haven’t tried many. So you carry right at your side or in between the appendix and hip?

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
I carry at abt 3 O'clock. IWB , single clip. The clip goes right in front of the 3 O'clock belt loop.
This seems to be the most comfortable all around, sitting, driving, walking etc..
I have found that belt selection seems to have as much or more to do with comfort than anything.
With holsters and belts, the sooner you just accept that you will try many of each to find the 'right' one, the better. 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry at abt 3 O'clock. IWB , single clip. The clip goes right in front of the 3 O'clock belt loop.
This seems to be the most comfortable all around, sitting, driving, walking etc..
I have found that belt selection seems to have as much or more to do with comfort than anything.
With holsters and belts, the sooner you just accept that you will try many of each to find the 'right' one, the better.
Welp hopefully the misses is ok with me trying many different holsters and belts gonna cost.

·
Administrator
1,236 Posts
Welp hopefully the misses is ok with me trying many different holsters and belts gonna cost.
Welcome to the next level.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
What primer said, the more you carry the more comfortable it gets. I carry a full size handgun, and it’s got a metal clip on it since it’s got a light. Believe me, when I first started carrying, it was super uncomfortable, constantly messing with it and stuff. Once you find the right setup and what works for you and its comfortable, it’ll be like slipping on a glove when you carry. And eventually after getting used to it, you’ll hardly even notice it’s there! I’ve carried mine in all seasons, and I’m to a point where when I’m carrying, I sometimes forget that I even have it! 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What primer said, the more you carry the more comfortable it gets. I carry a full size handgun, and it’s got a metal clip on it since it’s got a light. Believe me, when I first started carrying, it was super uncomfortable, constantly messing with it and stuff. Once you find the right setup and what works for you and its comfortable, it’ll be like slipping on a glove when you carry. And eventually after getting used to it, you’ll hardly even notice it’s there! I’ve carried mine in all seasons, and I’m to a point where when I’m carrying, I sometimes forget that I even have it!
Ok, so I feel relieved it’s a normal thing to feel uncomfortable at first. I thought I was doing something wrong. What position do you carry?

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I agree with Higgy. I don’t do appendix either. 4 o’clock OWB works most always for me. Shirt covers nicely. If I am on the road driving I sometimes switch to a 10 o’clock cross draw that is quite comfortable in the driver seat for hours.

·
Supporting Member
14,398 Posts
The appendix carry for me I never got use to it. Wen setting it seemed it always gouged me. I have never liked the IWB carry so I carry on my strong side in a OWB Holster. And when I can not conceal it by other clothing in the heat of the summer I carry an ankle holster.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Sniper, mine would gouge me too when I first started appendix carry. I had to make ALOT of fine adjustments to like find the “Sweet Spot” so it’s not gougeing into you when your sitting down or bending for example. It took months and months of experimenting but I found that sweet spot!

·
Administrator
1,236 Posts
I start with IWB at 7:00 (I'm left-handed). That was very uncomfortable in the car and I was driving around Florida a lot back then. I have shifted to an UnderTech UnderCover tank top. I can easily draw in a hurry, but it took quite a bit of practice to get there. The dang shirt buttons are on the wrong side.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Inside, outside, upside down, or sideways how you choose to carry a firearm will always be subjective and dependent on a number of variables- some you control, others you do not. The question is overly broad and answers vague without specifics to narrow relevant information.

"What, how, and when?" - Big gun, little gun, revolver, semi-auto. Choice of holster or no holster? Travelling by vehicle or public transportation? Around town, shopping, dining out, at work, hunting, working on your farm, attending a funeral - what? After more than 40 years on duty, off duty, private citizen, sheriff, and farmer - in/out of "gun free zones" and states/cities where firearms are restricted - it's all fluid.

First consideration for me is always - "Is what I'm about to do legal?" Choices after that are subjective. Pick a firearm you like, consider all that could go wrong and adapt your choice of carry (and, indeed the choice of whether or not to carry) to the situation/location.

Please provide more specific information. i.e. - What specific firearm are you talking about? Where and under what circumstances do you feel the need to carry a firearm? What is your body type? (big people have more options).

Great question - hope others will join the conversation.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
It really does seem to come down to a combination of handgun and holster, as to what is comfortable for appendix carry. For my Beretta Px4 a JM Custom Kydex holster is one of the more comfortable ones I have found. For a snubbie revolver, I actually prefer to mis-apply the use of an inexpensive Uncle Mikes pocket holster and just tuck it in my waistband.

outside the waistband is more forgiving for comfort and when I carry on my hip or behind my hip, the holster makes less of a difference in comfort, but, having a sturdy holster that holds the handgun well, close to the body, and doesn’t let it flop outward is necessary to reduce printing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like others said, what you carry and what you carry it in makes all the difference.
The correct holster can make the difference between an uncomfortable day and barely noticeable holster.
Alien gear makes a wide variety of super comfortable holsters for different styles of carry.
For me I'm able to carry a full size G22. I use a Comp-Tac IWB kydex at 9 o'clock (lefty).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts