concealed carry permit process in Rural Calif.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by widowmaker, Aug 14, 2013.

1. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I took the NRA pistol class for my carry permit a week ago last Saturday. 12 hour class in one day. Shot qualifying on Sunday and turned in my paperwork to my county Sheriff on Monday last week. I did what is called a life scan at the sheriffs office. ( LOTS of paperwork, finger and hand prints and $120.00 ) and was told I would hear from them for an appointment to be interviewed in 6-8 weeks.
    I passed the background check when I joined the fire dept. in our small town so I don't foresee a problem with that. The interview will be interesting because of the area where I live. Lots of recent releases in this area thanks to "budget cuts" and overcrowding in the state prisons.
    If you guys are interested in what it takes to get a carry permit in rural Northern California I will continue to update this.

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Yes, most definitely keep us in the loop...:cool:...best wishes...

I hope the man with the rubber glove is gentle...:p;)...bohica...:eek:

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm interested as well. Good luck to ya.

4. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

Well, tomorrow (Wednesday) I go for my interview with the Sheriffs office. The young lady that did the life scan said if I passed that , they would hand me my permit then and there.
    Update will follow tomorrow.

5. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Good luck :)

6. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Sounds like you got to the system pretty quick though I know people been waiting 8 months plus

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I can't imagine that's accurate. But I hope it is for your sake. Best of luck.

8. Moon_Bounce

Moon_Bounce New Member

For me in PA. I went on my counties court page and filled out the CCW permit questionnaire. Had a check made payable to my county and went to the court house during my lunch break. Located the sheriffs office put my name on the list and took a seat. The sheriff came out of his office called my name and asked for the CCW permit questionnaire and my drivers license I gave it to him and he told me to have a seat and he would be right back out. He came back out in 5-10 minutes and called me into his office there he had me sign a couple things asked for the check took a picture and then handed me my permit and I walked out of there.

The process took about 30 minutes.

Good Luck

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I hate you lol I'm in California

10. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

Well, I went to my interveiw yesterday. Got there 10 minutes early.. I was scheduled for 10 AM.I sat in the lobby for about 8 minutes. I walked out of the Sheriffs office at 10:15 with permit in hand. No hassle at all. The deputy asked if I had any questions and told me I could call if any came up. I can put up to five ( 5) guns on the permit. Costs 4 bucks for them to add one and re-type a new permit. Who would have believed this in Kalifornia. But then again, up here we call it the state of Jefferson.

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Congratz again sucks living in California lol

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, what county are you in? As I'm typing this I can't remember if you said or not.

Is a real rural area or are you near a big city?

13. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I live in Tehama county. Half way between Redding and Red Bluff. 160 miles north of Sacramento. Nearest gas station or grocery store is about 15 miles from my house.

14. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Wow I didn't know you're in California that surprising I'm in central California and its taking 8 to nine months. It pays to read the thread headlines I guess lol

15. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

I used to live in Fresno. Getting a permit there was next to impossible. Nowdays its like a war zone down there from what friends tell me.
    Several years ago the county sheriff here was on tv and said" Since we are so short staffed, we would prefer the people living in the outlying areas handle their own problems if possible." At that time there were 2 deputies patroling at night for the whole county. Of course there were only about 50,000 people in the county. Today response time where I live is between 30 minutes to 2 hours.
    Even the EMTs take 20 minutes to get here.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Another try to explain 8-9 month delay in my county is not because of the sheriff's lack of work.
    He is gone on record stating that since he has to lay off so many of his deputies that he is going to arm as many citizens as he possibly can since then he has had a huge backlog.
    Friend of mine got his like 3 months ago he waited over 8 months for his appointment.
    I guess in that aspect I am lucky to be in this county got full support of our sheriff

17. Moon_Bounce

Moon_Bounce New Member

I have a finance background and that is money being left on the table. The county should hire 1 or 2 people to help get these permits processed. You said you had to pay $120. If they were to process 1 extra a day by hiring 1 person it would pay for itself. But we all know output should about double so instead of doing 12 apps a day they know do 20 which is an increase of $960 a day....$4800 a week....$19200 a month....$249600 a year for just pushing out 8 extra permits a day. I don't think that one person the government hired would be making over 20-30k a year but what do I know I'm just an accountant

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Redding and red bluff, heck that might as well be in Oregon!

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

You could be on to something... Run for public office.