Concealed Carry on cold range.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by cthompson54, Jul 28, 2010.

1. cthompson54

cthompson54 New Member

Simple safety issue question. Should loaded concealed carry pistols be allowed on a "cold range" with people going down range to inspect targets? What say you everyone? CT.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Any range I have ever been on cold means cold...your guns are cleared and locked on the bench and you step away. Laying hands on your gun while the range is cold gets you a stern warning from the range officer and a possible eviction.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You are right, cold = cold!

With that said, if it's concealed, who knows?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some of our ranges prefer not to allow concealed carry while using the range. When there is a sign posted, it is the same as other places that post no ccw signs.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If the range allows concealled weapons or it's a public range, I would leave it in it's holster and let no one be the wiser.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only cold range I have ever been on is the Grand Junction Police Dept training range. I am not a cop. I was there to compete. All guns were checked as we entered. Since many of us were civilians, all of the range officers had loaded weapons on their hips. I was ok with it. I felt like 8 cops will loaded weapons were good enough. Also, we were allowed to have loaded magazines. They just were not allowed to be in the gun until we were at the line.

There were a few new shooters there. For safety sake I was happy to wait to be told to load and make ready.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When I compete in IPSC, I follow their rules...COLD

When I run the Agency range, I am hot. This was especially true when we leased space on a public range. Thugs and gangstas were shooting in the next bay. I was there to keep my shooters safe. Safe from themselves, each other and the gangstas.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

I rarely go to a formal range. I ALWAYS carry a loaded concealed weapon when shooting at non-formal ranges as you don't know what kind of meatball might be pulling up. He might think,"Nice collection, I want it, I'll take it".
    What happens if you get caught with your CCW? Who would know you have it? Are you violating a law or a club rule? Balance your safety against the pungency of the discomfort you would suffer.

9. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

i under stand that ranges make rules for safety and insurance purposes but its a pain to have to unload a perfectly good gun and make it in to a poor rockb