concealed carry in other states

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by liftedtrucks4me, Jun 19, 2012.

1. liftedtrucks4me

liftedtrucks4me New Member

I have been issued a concealed carry permit in Virginia, I am traveling to PA next week, if I carry up there am I still good on the legal side. I looked it up and it showed that both states issue to residents and non residents. I never went through a concealed carry class so I do not know what states honor the Virginia permit and who ones dont

2. vincent

vincent New Member

According to this, reciprocity is shared between Va and Pa...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/...click on the desired state to see the specifics.

If you're driving, watch out for Md, they don't share s**t!!! :eek:...If it were me, I'd find a way around the whole damn state if possible...

3. liftedtrucks4me

if you are familiar with the interstate at all through there i am going to be in maryland for 10 miles. I was wondering this, a guy I know says when im pulled over for anything i got to put my hands on the window and tell the officer i am carrying, does the officer take the firearm and run background on the firearm. I am not in trouble or nothing, everything would check out just fine. Just curious how that works

4. vincent

vincent New Member

If you're carrying in a state that does not share reciprocity with yours, you broke the law and most likely will be arrested. (In Md, they'll probably put you under the jail:eek:) Again, if it were me, I don't care if I was only in the state for 10 feet, I'd find a way around. They have no business telling me I have no right to protect myself and my family...:mad: Your question can be answered on the site under 'must inform'.

If it's a 'must inform' situation, the first thing you do is put your hands in plain sight and tell him or her you are carrying and produce all necessary documentation. They may or may not check your gun, it's different every time, and a lot depends on your general attitude...in other words...PLAY NICE!!!

It's never a bad idea to contact a lawyer that specializes in gun laws and get all the info you can...never take legal advice from your friend or some guy on the internet, especially when your freedom is on the line...:cool:

5. liftedtrucks4me

the guy i talk to is my platoon sergeant who is also a virginia state trooper, he knows if i mess up out there it'll affect both my civilian and military life.

6. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Indeed , on top of that. Just because one state honors anothers permit doesn't mean you can carry the way you do in your home state .

For instance in florida you can drive in your vehicle wearing your gun with a permit but if you goto another state that honors florida's permit that state might still require you to have your gun locked up in a box when you drive. So definitely check the specifics of every state you plan on traveling through BEFORE you begin your travel.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  7. liftedtrucks4me

thanks for that ghozt, i'll check that out right now

8. vincent

vincent New Member

This is your best bet. And just dont get pulled over!!! :D:cool:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

VA CHL? Do not carry in MD. Unload it, case it, put the case in the trunk. Trust me on this one. Your Plt Sgt has an advantage you do not- HE can carry in any state of the Union.

10. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

I assume your heading up 81n , I'm from VA and when I hit that bridge I set my cruise control for the next 10mn. I don't know where your going in PA but for the the love of freedom stay the hell out of NY

11. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Why would he go near NY if he's traveling from Virginia to PA? You're right though and add NJ to that!
    I drove from NY to Tenn. last year and yeah, you can bet when I went through NJ and MD, my gun was locked up and in the trunk. I carried in PA but before I hit the MD border, I locked it up. When I hit Virginia, I strapped on and didn't take it off until I went into MD on the way home. My Utah permit allowed me to carry in every other state. It was great to finally experience true firearms freedom!

12. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Remove the mag from the gun and put a trigger lock on it and in a box in the trunk. When you cross into pa pull over and reassemble your gun and go about your business. I live in pa and going in vacation in nj and I can't even have my gun at all there....

13. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

I didn't know where in PA ,if he's staying on the PA/NY like myself or not. My previous posts bear out my concern w/NY and their view on my rights and freedoms

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I do agree with that, believe me, I've lived in NY for almost 60 years now and it's way past time to move. Now that I'm retired, I will. I was just wondering why you mentioned it since going from Virginia to PA doesn't require going through NY.

15. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

For travel between Pa & Va, I use 522 to get through Gestapo country, 2 miles maybe. I won't stop or spend a cent in Maryland. I lock firearm before and unlock it after MD...

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Go to the NRA store. Item #PB 01566 Travelers Guide $13.95.
    The guide explains each states requirements w/o a carry permit. Also tells you what states it has reciprocity with for concealed carry. If there is reciprocity for your state, you can carry concealed.
    Some states allow firearms only whereas FL allows weapons carry which would include knives etc.

17. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I have 3 Iphone apps that I
    Got from the app store that shows the reciprocating states and in most cases quotes the relevent statutes. Just do a search on "handguns", "concealed carry" or "CCW". There is a goldmine of info there.

18. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

You can go to your states DPS website under the concealed carry licensing section and you will find a list of states that honor your states CCP.