Concealed carry in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bryanflowers, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

I just moved to North Carolina last week from Florida. I know that where I can carry here is very limited compared to Florida. My main question which I haven't been able to find any information on is whether North Carolina recognizes my Florida CWP once I become a resident of NC? Like as soon as I get a NC drivers license will my Florida CWP still be valid? Can I simply keep using it until I have time to get a NC CCL. Or do I need to get one, if NC recognizes non-resident permits from another state. My FL license still has 5 years on it. Thanks for any information.

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Your best bet is to contact the NC Agency that governs the Concealed Carry program and ask them, they will know best.

3. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I agree with Linda, contacting the appropriate state agency is the best advice.

What I am about to tell you below is just my experience, NOT legal advice, so contact the state for the facts.

I have an NC concealed carry permit and the lady at the sheriff's office who issued it said that it would be very important for me to contact them if I moved, whether in or out of state. I know even for moving within the issuing county, she said my driver's license must match the address on my concealed carry permit, so I was to contact the sheriff's office if I move after I got the driver's license changed so I could get the permit updated. I know in NC you have a certain number of days in which you must get your driver's license changed if you move. I don't know if Florida has requirements about informing whomever issued your permit about residence change, but you might want to look into that as well. I do suspect that if you are an NC resident and have an NC driver's license, you could run into an issue with an out of state permit, so I would definitely check with the state. I know you can apply for an NC permit once you have lived here for 30 days.

The permits are issued by the county sheriff and the NC DOJ handles reciprocity. Those two departments would be good places to start asking questions.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do you live at the address on your FL CCWL? NO, which is also the answer to "whether North Carolina recognizes my Florida CWP once I become a resident of NC?" Will NC recognize your FL driver's license once you move? Nope, gotta get a new NC DL.

Read this:

HandgunLaw.US.com - North Carolina

You just lost 5 years of FL carry permit payment. You may want to check if the FL requirements will satisfy the NC requirements for issue.

BIG change, NC is a Must Inform Officer state, FL is not.

5. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

Canebrake
    Thanks for he information. The link to Handgun law says NC honors non resident permits from states that honor their permits. My FL CWP has my new address on file with FDLE. So why shouldn't I be able to use a Florida non resident permit I'm NC. Florida does issue permits to non residents.
    Not that it really matters here. NC has awful handgun laws. Cant carry ANYWHERE an admission is charged? Can't carry in banks, that is where you need it most. Any "no gun" sign carries the weight of the law. All restaurants that serve alcohol are off limits. Makes me miss Florida already, he gun laws that is.
    I just don't see why I can't use a Florida non resident permit if North Carolina recognizes it? Am I totally wrong or off base?
    Thanks for your help.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

IF, your FL CCW license is, in fact, a non-resident issued permit with your current NC address it will allow you to carry in NC as long as you follow the state and local laws.

The confusion came from your OP where I thought the FL license was a FL resident permit and not a non-resident issue.

7. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

Thanks for the input. It is very helpful.