Concealed Below The Knee

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by AR10, Jun 14, 2013.

1. AR10

AR10 New Member

I recently purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm for my wife. She turned her nose up at it, too black or who knows why women make the choices they do?

So, no big deal, one more gun for me.

I decided to incorporate this gun into my daily life by modifying a BlackHawk Serpa II with several feet of two inch Velcro.

I am a below knee amputee and with minimal changes to the Serpa holster, I have 18 rounds of Hydra Shok 9mm right below my knee.

I prefer the weight higher, to minimize the swinging effect of a pretty heavy sub compact pistol.

Love the locked in feature of the Serpa II holsters. Stays put no matter what, unless you need it, then it slides out easy.

This is not as fast an acquisition as a IWB holster, but because of my available resources, why not take advantage of the available location?

Sitting in a office chair, or my truck, this location is easier to get to. Does not pull down on my pants, and is ready in public restrooms without fussing with it.

If I need to remove it, the Velcro straps are easy off and back on again.

May lower it slightly and further inset it into the leg over the next few days to remove some printing.

ForumRunner_20130613_235503.jpg

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

That sir, is thinking outside of the box. I like it!

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I think that works beautifully for you...Good thinking idea!

Historically speaking "ankle holsters" are more intended for a BUG when behind cover. Instead of a ready draw CCW

4. AR10

AR10 New Member

Just in case anyone thinks I may be pulling your leg, I pulled mine. Lol

Another reason to keep the gun high over low, is shooting at the range. I can pull up my pants leg and tuck it in under the holster. My long ape arms can reach my knee pretty easy.

Tomorrow I will see how close my Glock 20 fits in this location, and compare the fully loaded weights of both firearms.

ForumRunner_20130614_002821.jpg

5. phildenton

phildenton New Member

That sir, is genius. How do you like the px4? Does it shoot well, etc?

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Neat idea, seems the standard mag might work a little better than the extended one. Or you could trade the Px4 in on a LC9, Nano or Shield.

Jim

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

Lowered the unit a tad, and set it into the foam. Whole rig now sits much closer to the 1 1/4" center. No more printing.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have toated around a full size Glock 10mm for twenty years. This seems like a toy in comparison size wise.

Function of all Beretta arms is pretty top notch. Great gun maker.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The only thing I conceal below my knee is...(easy now..).....My ankle ..And not even that is all that often. I open carry them a lot this time of year :D

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I am intrigued by the 10 mm, if i could own any mp5 model it would be the 10mm.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

It takes a good bit of "ingenuity" to make an able bodied person lust after a prosthetic limb... Nice work AR10!

I've been intrigued with the notion of CCW within a prosthetic ever since I saw "Robo Cops" machine pistol POP out of his thigh back in the 80's... very cool.

Tack

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Improvise, adapt, and overcome!:D

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Once I decided I could get used to the extra weight, and commit fully to this, I got out a trusty porcelain carving knife from the kitchen, and placed surgical cuts to remove prosthetic tissue down to the bone (carbon fiber) thus pulling the handgun holster inside the leg.

Now no printing, and the balance is better.

This rides in the center of the calf area, much higher than typically seen by ankle holsters. This has some advantages. Never going to peek out of a pants leg.

Presenting the handgun is quick and easy. As with any Serpa II holster, grasp the grip, (through the pants ), push the unlock leaver with the index finger along the frame, pull gun from holster. Now is where it all changes. I do one of two things. On grass or carpet, one option is to drop the gun, and quickly pick it up again. Another method I am training with, is allow gravity to slide the gun down my leg, while allowing the fabric of my pants to move past my hand and the gun. This way, my hand never leaves the grip.

It is possible to pull up the pants leg, but the other options are more discrete, allow the use of just one hand, and are faster.

As a four year old, with two good legs, other accommodations had to be made.

Whatever works!

ForumRunner_20130627_155541.jpg

9154313850_3d79f8d8fc_o.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

i would suggest wearing pants with cargo pockets and creating a pass through access port inside the pocket shouldn't be difficult and i bet your local dry cleaner would do it for you with no questions asked if you say its so you can adjust your prosthesis

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Looks pretty good. I don't know about the gun's weight, but I'd wear loose-fitting jeans to keep it from printing.
    I used to wear western boots, and carried a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 in a clip-on holster inside a boot. It worked well, except one day at work I was sitting in a meeting, and the VP who was running the meeting suddenly pointed at the floor in front of me. My .44 was lying on the floor next to my foot. I wasn't fired nor punished, but I was plenty embarrassed.
    It actually turned out well, though. Sitting in the same room was the momma of a guy who'd been chasing after my wife, who also worked at the same place. This guy was always making condescending remarks to me, apparently thought I was too bashful to stand up to him. But from the moment his momma saw my gun to the present day (about 25 years) he has never said a word to my wife or to me since.
    :D

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

Have not seen cargo pants in my size with below knee pockets.

17. grandpubba

grandpubba Member

Look for "board" shorts, they are longer then traditional shorts, think surfing style but as cargo shorts, I wear them all the time can keep a small pistol in they pocket or hide one several inches below knee. Good luck

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Even if a cargo pocket is not positioned below the knee, just a slit opening with velcro along the top seam would still give you an access to reach down through for drawing.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree. It seems like a good draw method. It can be cargo pants too. That way you don't need to lift your pant leg. Or drop the gun on the ground. I like the cargo pocket idea.

20. AR10

AR10 New Member

I could purchase two pants, and give them to a seamstress, and she could do a little pocket moving.