Concealable Sub-Compact 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by boddah4, Sep 10, 2012.

1. boddah4

boddah4 New Member

I thought I was going to get a Kel-Tec PF9 going into the CPL class I took yesterday. After taking the class and talking to a few people I decided to get a sub-compact 9mm. I am thinking of a Springfield XD Sub-Compact, Beretta Nano, or Smith & Wesson Shield. I want to stay as close to $450 and want maximum concealibility and reliabilty out of the gun.

The Glock 26 is out of my price range, do not want a Kahr (religious affiliation issues) and didn't really care for the Ruger LC9. Are there others I am missing? Does anyone have opinions on the ones mentioned?

2. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Shot my sons mp sheild in 9 mm. It's a great gun I've been looking for one for myself for weeks but the supply is so heavy there isn't one to be found around here. ( Indiana) but its a great conceal carry weapon shoots great and very reliable in my opinion.

3. boddah4

boddah4 New Member

The supply and the fact that all the issues with the Shield may not have been ironed out concern me.

4. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I am looking for either a PF 9 or the CM 9 by Kahr prefer the latter for better trigger but I believe both to be very reliable. Break in to be needed on the PF 9 for sure. I have carried both a Glock 26 and a sub XD 9, both are blocky. I just opted to carry the G23 in a .40 instead, not that big a difference in size and I shoot it extremely well. The 2 mentioned in the beginning of the post are to supplement by carrying both one in ankle holster or when the heat in SA is bad I can just carry say the CM 9.

Remember the best gun is going to be the one you carry all the time, not the one you leave at home because of size, weight or conceal ability.

5. pistolpacker

pistolpacker New Member

Yes sir I agree with the supply problem. But there doesn't seem to be any issues with the 9 mm. The .40 sheild has had some magazine drop problems and FTF I think tho

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have a NIB CM9 in the classifieds if your interested or PM me for details/pics.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a PF9, a Shield and a G27. I've shot most of the competitors (LC9, various Kahrs, Nano, etc) as well as the double stacked subcomps from Glock and Springfield. I carry the Shield daily and it's what I would endorse above all similarly priced guns.

For under $500, I like:

1) S&W M&P Shield
    2) Ruger LC9
    3) Kahr CM9

...in that order. But I prefer single-stacked and tiny, and not everyone shares that preference. The Shield just shoots and handles like a larger gun, despite it's carry-friendly size.

My PF9 works fine (zero failures in fact), but it's just no fun to shoot. I haven't come across a gun similar in size that's as easy to shoot well as the Shield, and that's extremely important in my book.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

After cc'n a pf-9 for 2 1/2years it does fit a SUB-Compact need unlike some others that are a compacts today. I don't worthy about religious bs and CC ether a cm9 or cw9. Simple great pistols.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

Have you pocket-carried any or all of those, and how do they compare?

10. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I do like the Shield but I would opt for the Nano personally. I am a bit biased towards Beretta, but with that said, the Nano was designed for concealment and quick draws. It can be customized with things like different grips or sights to suit your needs (which is helpful considering the standard sights, or lack there of, on various smaller sub compacts). I think it only holds 6+1 so count that as a point against it but other than that I'd say it's a great all around EDC.

Have you shot all the pieces you mentioned? That will be the biggest deciding factors of whether you like one versus another.

11. blatch70

blatch70 New Member

I am set in getting the Beretta PX4 storm sub-compact. It comes in 9mm or .40. It has some of the same features I like in my Beretta M96.

12. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

I have had my Kel-Tec PF9 since February, have shot probably 500 rounds through it with no problems what-so-ever. Not a single failure to eject, dropped magazine, etc. Dead on at 7-10 yards, and decent up to 50 feet.

13. danolator

danolator New Member

Save for a little while longer and get the Glock 26.

14. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I want a Shield.

15. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I had a Taurus Millennium but I wouldn't suggest that to anyone. My SIG P250 on the other hand is a great piece. Factory nights sights. Either a 12 round mag or a 15 round mag. Nice, light, straight shooter from a good company. PLUS, you can buy conversion kits for them and change the frame size and/or the caliber anytime you want. You can get the kits shipped right to your house without and FFL needed.

16. Matthew161

Matthew161 New Member

I carry a sd9ve and most of the time i dont even know i have it

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

New to the market so issue of 'bugs', if any, being known is still open, but I really like my wife's P938 Sig. Of course, I'm a fan of SA triggers & being able to carry cocked & locked, same as the 1911s I carry.

18. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

XD Sub Compact 9MM. I have no issues concealing it and wearing it in any weather.

19. PcolaCatFan

PcolaCatFan New Member

I have a Taurus Millennium Pro PT111. I love it. I've put around 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Very reliable!

20. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I bought mine used and eventually broke the disassembly latch. No one had one, not even Taurus. I had to mill one myself. Mine was also quite old, I think it was produced in '93.