Conceal Carry

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Cerberusdestroyer, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Cerberusdestroyer

Cerberusdestroyer New Member

Thinking about getting a Kahr P380, Does anyone have any experience with this gun? Would you go with this or the glock 42?

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with a S&W Shield in 9 mm. I have tried many other guns and the only other small CC gun I would recommend would be the S&W 642. You do not need to go to the 380 to get a good CCW.
    Welcome to the forum!!!:)

3. Cerberusdestroyer

Cerberusdestroyer New Member

I looked into it awhile back someone told me there was a recall on the gun. Ill have to do more research on it. 642 would probably be the most reliable option. Thank you!

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Welcome! We have an entire thread on Concealed carry. But please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself. I don't carry anything less then 9MM/ 38 Spl.+P,...just Saying. We also have a Great podcast here ( Shameless self promo ) hosted by TekGreg, Vikingdad , and myself at www.Firearmstalk .Com/Podcast....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Kahr CM9 and a S&W 642. I use both of them as a daily carry. I don't carry them both at the same time. I make them take turns.

The Kahr CM9 is a very small gun. And it is a respectable cartridge. The 642 is simplicity at it finest. You can't go wrong with either gun.
    I pocket carry both of them.

I have had a couple of 380s. But I got rid of both of them. Just not enough power for me. I believe in carrying the largest caliber that you can shoot well. During the week I have no choice but to pocket carry. On the weekends I often carry a Ruger 1911 in 45 ACP or a S&W 44 Mag.

6. Geosully

Geosully New Member

Love the original Kahr K9 for daily carry. My wife has the SS MK9 Elite with night sights, she loves it. But these are steel guns, no polymer. The newer Kahrs are lighter and cheaper, but IMO not as nice and harder to train with.

7. bigguns21

bigguns21 New Member

Look into a sig p938 best compact carry gun I've had ever.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Dont grab a sharp pencil to make a lost dog poster for telephone poles. Use a wide tip Sharpe. Right tool for the job. A pencil would work to make a sign, but you might never get your dog back.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you feel confident enough with such a gun? Accuracy is not that great with such small arms.
    I have the Keltec P3AT (same size and function), and my groups are not that great even at 21 feet.

Would you try to stop a 150# wild hog with it? How about a 200# bad guy?

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Guess the OP should compare the two and decide for him self. Handle them bother , if for the pocket the glock may not fit your needs as well as a smaller 380. I prefer a tcp to the kahr. Kahr is not for weak of hand ether.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8PEZBaj4G4[/ame]

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

The Glock 42 is a great gun. I hate wearing IWB but I can with that gun and not even have to loosen up my belt at all.

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Stay away from anything (Ruger *cough cough* Ruger) that has the loaded chamber indicator. Poorest design idea ever for a conceal carry design. The LAST thing we need when un holstering is a useless attachment that gets caught on your clothing or holster

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would avoid the G42 until they work the kinks out of it. There isn't a recall going on but the newer G42's have been redesigned.

Personally I wouldn't get either pistol. I would get a G19. It is an adequate pistol to fend off a maniac. It is light enough to carry easily. Unless you plan on pocket carrying the Kahr you will find the G19 easier to carry than the Kahr. There are so many holsters for the G19 you are sure to find a holster that is comfortable. Plus the G19 is small enough that it will fit in the pocket of most pants.

Here are some articles about the G42's problems
    https://universityofguns.com/tag/glock-42-redesign/
    http://tdiohio.com/observations-opinions-of-the-glock-42/
    http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/glock-appears-to-have-made-changes-to-the-g42/

How easy it is to carry a G19. A decent holster and a T shirt is all you need.
    [​IMG]

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It depends upon what kind of trigger you want. Kahrs are know for their long double action only triggers, their incredibly smooth long DAO triggers that is. They are absolutely idiot proof (but please don't go trying to disprove that statement ;) ).

When I recently replaced my 380, I gave the Kahr 380 some consideration. It would have fit very well with my Kahr PM9. But I decided I wanted to move to a shorter trigger for my carry guns, so I now have a Kimber Micro 380.

The Kahr 380 is an excellent gun, don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise. But it all comes down to what you want.

15. Geosully

Geosully New Member

IMO, a 380 has little to recommend it versus a 9mm para. I feel quite comfortable with a K9 with a 7 round capacity for daily carry. I don't feel that the trade off in performance is worth it for me to switch to a polymer 380.
    Now comes the folks who will swear that the difference in terminal effectiveness between a 380 and a 9mm from a short barrel at self defense distances is negligible and worth the trade off in portability. I have no quarrel with you. To each his own. I will sometimes carry nothing more than a 22 or a pocket knife. But have little need for a firearm that fills no particular tactical niche better than what I have. Again, my opinion. Would I proudly own a WWII Walther? Yes. But I probably would carry the Kahr K9, which is the same size and strikes a harder blow.

16. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have no experience with the Kahr, but my wife has a Glock 42. I have never been a Glock fan, never cared much for the triggers, but I am impressed with the 42,, it is a very soft shooter,, very good for the wife, and the trigger is the best I have shot in a factory Glock. It's accuracy is very good at defensive ranges and it seems very reliable, we have never had a malfunction so far,, about 600 rounds since she picked it up { still trap season, so she won't shoot pistols much, she says it messes up her trap game}. I prefer my 1911's and revolvers but I can say that I have confidence in the little Glock, one could do a lot worse.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Uh, John. When you compare the weight and size of the Kahr, even in 9mm to this gun it is not even close. You might as well have posted a full sized 1911.:D

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Is this a pocket pistol or IWB ?? The glocks a little big for pocket duty for many . If its simple a smaller controllable 380 look at bersa with there different models. The CC is the smallest with 8 plus 1 up to the Thunder and the Thunder Plus with 15 rounds.

My kahr cm9 is smaller in length and height and width and a couple oz more in weight but is a 9mm. pf9 is another than smaller all around.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I agree with Scott. Here is an article about the NYPD- while not the same model gun, they do mention the trigger pull as being "too light" :eek: at 7.5-13 lbs. Now to anybody who actually shoots guns regularly that is an extremely heavy trigger.

I have a G27 and it is a little blocky for CC, but it is otherwise a good choice. In practice sessions I have been able to hit 2' square steel plate from 100 yards on 13 out of 15 shots. That is pretty good for a short barrel CC gun. I would never engage at that distance for a defensive use but there is nothing wrong with trying it in practice.