conceal carry glock g17

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by northeastflorida86, Aug 31, 2013.

1. northeastflorida86

northeastflorida86 New Member

Its the gun i want.

A year or so from now i can get another pistol (probably a g26)

Just looking for some CC tips for that large frame pistol..
    It will help that i have some extra weight.

Glock-17-Gen-4-9mm1.jpg

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I'm of the larger variety myself. I have a G22 (same size) that I have concealed. It is easy in the winter with coats, jackets, etc. My main CCW is the 27 though.

Now people will likely begin trying to convince you to go with the G19 in......3.......2.......1 GO!

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs. and up until last month I carried a G17 every day. Now I carry a G26. It's just easier this way.

4. northeastflorida86

Haha... i started out carrying a s&w sw9ve sigma 9mm(older brother of the s&w sd9).
    The sw9ve is really similar to the g19 in grip & slide length...

5. northeastflorida86

With the g17 did u IWB or???

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

*whew* a Glock 17 is a monster. I personally wouldn't wanna open carry it.

I would feel more at home carrying a heavy gun, as long as it has a relatively short pistol grip, than a full sized service pistol like the G19.

Weight can be compensated for by a good belt and holster, and maybe even suspenders. Its hard to hide a large pistol grip.

I suppose you'll have an easier time of it if you're a bigger guy though, as you said you are.

Best of luck.

7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

OWB with a t-shirt or whatever shirt untucked and over it.

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I might consider a compact; say G19. But what the heck do I know, my CCW is a Beretta Nano.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Dont let the haters discourage you. It can be done. I conceal carried a Glock 22 on a daily basis for years. With a large frame gun there are two options that I find fairly comfortable and several others that I found not very comfortable but were occasionally a necessity in the summertime.

The first is a concealment paddle holster and an over shirt. It helps the gun not to "print" as bad if you roll the paddle holster forward a little bit and also place it as close to the front (where the bone in your hip kindof jumps out) as possible.

The second is a conceal carry fanny pack. It's not stylish, but in the summer time it gives you a place for extra mags, a wallet, keys etc, and its easy to take off if you're getting in the water.

The less comfortable options: It will fit (tightly) in the cargo pocket of most cargo pants. It will bang against your knee if you have to run. It will also fit (tightly) in the deep pockets of tactical wear made by 5/11

If you're a large guy you may be able to comfortably carry it with an inside the belt holster. I am skinny and was forced to carry mine inside the belt a few times and I hated it.

If you're wearing a dress coat or other outer wear that is fitted to your waist and doesn't allow for even inside the belt carry without big bulges, shoulder holsters can do the job, but with a gun that big you're probably trading a bulge in your pants for a bulge in your arm/shoulder area. I hate shoulder holsters with a fiery passion. I have tried quite a few and just cannot stand the way they feel. I would rather have a big bulge than carry a shoulder holster.

I carried my Glock 22 everywhere every day in every social situation imaginable. It was all I had at the time. It was the model I was required to purchase for work. I never once left it at home because it was too big. Sometimes it required creative dress, but that's the price that comes with having your tool on hand if you need it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I've been carrying my G35 for almost 2 years now. I don't dress fancy, so my attire is usually a baggy shirt and shorts/pants. I carry the G35 in a IWB N82 pro tactical holster and have no problem carrying it. So, get your G17 and have fun with it!!!:D

11. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I've CC'd my Glock 17 with no real problem, both IWB and OWB. With a good belt, loose cover garment and properly fitting pants (sorry, no "skinny jeans"if you want to IWB carry!) I don't think most people should have a problem.

Certainly, there are smaller guns that are easier to carry and conceal but plenty of people successfully carry full sized service pistols every day.

Heck, I've CC'd my Glock 21 on occasion! Now that's a monster! Still, with a bulky cover garment like a sweater, sweatshirt or insulated vest its doable. ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013