Computer Expert Needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TimL2952, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

First is first. I live in a dorm with 150 other guys and I am the only one with this problem.

I hopped on my laptop this morning to check my school email account. The account is a gmail that is linked through the school website. Went I clicked the link, I received the white screen error "Internet Explorer could not display the webpage."

I then tried going to google.com and got the same thing. At first I thought it might have been a browser error because my roomie uses Firefox and his worked. I downloaded Firefox and it still did not work. Then tried downloading Google Chrome...but guess what? I couldn't even link to the page to download that....

Anyone have ANY idea what is going on?

2. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

If you havent already, try running a diagnostic on your connection. There might be a problem with your network/wireless card. Are you using windows 7? If you are, try troubleshooting the problem by right clicking the network icon (lower right)

3. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Finding out what's wrong with your computer is a tedious process if you don't know where to start. "Comb the desert I say!". If Cattledog's ideas don't work, even though I'm 99% sure it will help you find the droids you're looking for, you will have to start your process of elimination. Let us know if it tell you or not so we can be of further help.

4. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I am running Windows 7

Initially I DID try running a network troubleshoot.

Ran a diagnostic using free AVG the school supplies and Microsoft Security Essentials.....nothing.

Network connection is fine. I can surf the web on it as I am now. Just can't access google related sites.

5. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

You might be able to determine if you are connected to your server by typing the server ip address in the address window of your browser...try 192.168.0.1 , that is pretty much a default ip address for most routers. If that doesn't work try going to a command prompt and typing "ping www.google.com" if a ping times out then you are not connected to the server.

Try that and get back to us

EDUB

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Sometimes, I just have a problem getting google to work (for no reason), while the rest of the web works perfectly fine. I usually just give it a few hours, to a full day and it works again. What kind of computer are you using?

7. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Have you checked your firewalls?

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Yup happens to me sometimes too. I have found (since its clearly not a connectivity issue) that starting a private browsing session and/or deleting cookies will work wonders for this specific problem 95% of the time.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get a copy of ccleaner (spelling is correct). As someone else said, check firewalls. Check privacy settings, too.

10. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Delete all temporary internet files, cookies etc. Reset your browser to default settings. Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download their free version. Make sure it updates its libraries and do a full scan. Let it fix what it finds and reboot.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Did you try cussing it out and shaking your fist at it? :D

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

If you can connect to the internet and just not google sites, try clearing your browser cashe. On firefox: found under tools-options-advanced-network.

13. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Thanks for all the great tips guys.

I pinged google in the cmd prompt....it didn't time out.

-AS OF NOW-

-downloading malwarebytes
    -deleting browser cache, cookies, etc etc.
    -Firewalls are set to minimum without being off
    -Privacy settings are medium/medium-low and google is not a blocked site.

14. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Which browser are you using? Do you have any security add-ons installed? Every once in a while, one of my Firefox add-ons would cause trouble when it would do an update/bugfix. I ended up disabling it...

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Currently I am using Internet Explorer 8....I tried using Chrome and Firefox but I had the same problem.

Deleted all add-ons and nothing worked. :/

Scanned ALL drives with Malwarebytes and only found 3 errors...fixing them didnt work.

16. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

You will spend less time doing a format and rebuild.

17. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

bit unusual, but look for a host file redirect too

18. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I JUST got this laptop 4 weeks ago brand new...I don't really want to wipe and reload everything...I just got it the way I like it.

As for the host file redirect. How do I check? Someone told me to look through C:/Windows/Help for a host file...but I couldn't find anything...Display Hidden Files IS on.

19. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

20. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Alright, as in any diagnostics, look at what has changed since it last worked. Any updates for Win 7 or your firewall and/or virus scanner? Do you have any anti-spyware software installed?