Completing my Zombie Bug Out Kit

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Tackleberry1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

No, I don't really think the Zombie Appocolypse is upon us but it is a humorous way to laugh off preparedness with non gun folks...

I am thinking my collection NEEDS a .22lr Revolver and I've never owned one so I'm looking for suggestions.

I'd like it be full size and accurate, 6" to 8" barrel is ok.

I already own all the hi powered stuff like deer rifles, shotgungs, AR's, AK's, Ect,Ect.

My Zombie bag already consists of 2 Ruger 10-22's, 1 scoped and I'd like to Throw in a revolver of the same caliber. Like I said, squirrel at 30 yards accurate is a must, hi cap cylinders would be cool, quick change hi cap cylinders would be even better, and an option to load in a .22 Mag cylinder would be the cats meow.

Thanks,

Tack

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, my 1st choice would be a Smith but they are exspensive-
    The Ruger single sixes are most likely the best choice :)

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Listen to hossfly, if you cant get a smith, get a ruger, then a taurus

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ok, I know the single six can take .22 LR or .22 Mag. Does it actually only hold 6 rounds? I've heard of .22 revolvers holding a lot more ammo but don't recall the manufacturer?

5. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I think it holds six but taurus's convertible holds 9 each

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Not a Taurus fan. I'd go with smith, colt, or Ruger first

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Heritage Rough Rider that I bought at least 10 years ago. Other than a screw coming loose it has never given me any trouble. I have put thousands of rounds through it. They also have the convertable version with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders. They are well under $200.

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Tackleberry, i dont like taurus's semi autos but their revolvers are actually good guns. As for heritage 10+ years ago they were probly good guns but i have shot several new ones and they are not worth the price of the ammo to fire the thing

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Just my .02 not ranting

10. Seven

Seven New Member

I realize your looking at a revolver, for several reasons.
    But what about the Ruger "Mark xx" models?
    Tack drivers (as pistols go), reliable, and older used models can be had relatively cheap.

Just a thought.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Ruger just came out with the "Single Ten",and like it's name implies it holds ten rounds,although I don't think it's a convertible with a .22Mag cylinder included.I know I have seen a single action .22 somewhere that holds 12 rounds,but I don't remember what it was.

12. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

The ruger single six is pretty accurate, i got one with 22lr& mag cyl. The only thing i don't like about it is it takes forever to load and even longer to eject the spent cases. I'm not much of a single action guy.

13. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

A while ago I was also in the market for a .22 revolver, particularly the Ruger Single-Six Convertible. Now I'm no expert, so I did some unscholarly internet research, and came upon some controversy. There is a fraction of a difference in the bullet diameters of the .22 LR and the .22 WMR. There is, however, a world of difference in folks' opinions when it comes to the Convertible's accuracy. I was never able to sort out fact from fiction, but I reasoned that a Convertible must be making a barrel diameter sacrifice somewhere which might legitimately affect accuracy. In fact, I thought about it TOO much and ended up not buy ANY .22 revolver! I never wish to spread misinformation, so if someone can discredit my half-arsed research I would not only be grateful, but overjoyed, as I would still like a Single-Six! Either way Tack, I think my criteria in a revolver might be in line with yours: Rugged, reliable, and accurate. I'll be watching your thread to see what you decide on!

14. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Along with what coldiron44 said^^ the 22lr cylinder will be less accurate than the 22mag cylinder in ANY convertible. But as far as convertibles go you cant go wrong with rugers single six. My grandpa had one for 15 years hitting squirrels out to 100 yards with the magnums

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I agree, they are tack drivers for .22 lr pistols but I understand Tacks thing a revolver is basically maint free. not as many moving parts to worry about and even if its filthy it will still fire and the Mark XX series run alot smoother when clean

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Here you go BUT its got sum ugly sites & MSRP is high- Don't know about in the real world :(
    http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleTen/models.html

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hollar when you find out- I have'nt seen any around here but hey, I have yet to see a SR1911 around here :(

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Soo, could you regale us with the contents of this "bag"?

Are you going to carry it, or throw it in the back of your pickup?:confused:

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud question- I couldn't carry mine far :eek: