Complete M&P lower worth buying

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hardluk1, Nov 9, 2013.

1. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I am looking to build a M-4 and was about to order a blem lower and talked to my local general store gun shop about shipping it to him. He said he had a m&p15 lower complete he would make me a bit better deal than it was listed for. His current price is $311.95.

If price to me was under 300 bucks would that be a worth while buy.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Hmmmm. It's fair, not great. Here's what I figure.

Lower + fees 130ish
    LPK 60ish
    Stock buffer tube 60ish

But by doing it yourself parts and prices vary. If you want nicer parts or such do it yourself. If your just happy with an average, okay deal go for it.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Yea true , I guess I could also upgrade the trigger kit and be at the M&P price. Pick up a blem lower would be fine too. Got a look and see if any stags still out there.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's not a bad deal at all, especially if you prefer not to build. In that case, it's a 'go' if the setup is to your liking. It's a 'no-go' if you're going to upgrade some of those parts in the near future.

If you have specific tastes and demands, building is generally better in my experience. You can get the lower you want, probably a better stock (with milspec fit if desired), and maybe a better trigger/trigger guard.

I built a gun the other day on a Noveske lower. It was completed with a PSA/Magpul STR lower build kit, and has a clean and relatively light milspec trigger as well as the fit I desire (so all my spare pieces and parts are interchangeable). The total cost of the completed lower with all fees was about $330. I'm not going to claim it's dramatically superior to the S&W in question, but it's better for my tastes. And the Noveske lower, Magpul trigger guard, STR stock will add $100-200 to the rifle's resale value.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

6. mountaineergunner

mountaineergunner New Member

Thats on the high end of what its worth forsure. If I was you I would shop around. You can beat that price.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't let people discourage you because the S&W is "average". There are gun snobs everywhere. The quality of the S&W M&P rifles are on par with the Colt "industry standard". If the local guy has the same thing w/in $5-10 BUY IT! Support local, earn good will points and have someone who can stand behind the product.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Great replies guys. I had a m&p sport. Pleased with it and a better trigger than some I have tried . It also with some ammo tried in it was capable of MOA or a fuzz less. Just did not shoot it enough and a son-in-law talked me out of it. Ya I know.

Purehavoc- man wished I had seen that in the past couple days as I would ride down And buy one. May still try tomorrow if any left and still for sale.

I do tend to be a bit of a trigger snob. That has been my sticking point with AR triggers. hate 2 stage trigger in general and every rifle I own has a far better trigger than any ar I have shot but a rra varmint running a 1 1/2lb jard trigger was very nice. That would be my long term trigger option but also see a standard trigger being perhaps more idiot proof to start with.

Probably cheaper to buy but I am retired and have to much time on my hands so figure on a stag blem lower and build one.

robocop10mm We have a rare general store here. They keep about 450 firearms on display from high end like a 50 barrett down to high point all at 10% over his cost. Just that AR lowers and uppers are rare there and then only the M&P label for stock and then not often. Thee not a big deal around here. Guys are more apt to buy a 900 to 1200 dollar rifle rather than a better AR.

Thanks all . Think I am still stuck thinking this over.

10. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

If you are stuck for a better than stock trigger order the PSA lbk with the qms /alg trigger(5.5 lbs stock) Already stoned and honed, just add a reduced trigger spring for smooth, low pull (~4lbs pull) weight. Leave the hammer spring alone as going lighter sometimes results in FTF light strikes, especially on mil ammo. The titanium firing pin will also speed up lock time a bit. This is the go too "upgrade" trigger job at the shop!

This on the blemish lower, plus shipping, stock kit and transfer fee should still be cheaper than the m&p! Much better quality also... ;) I normally build varmit rifles and this is about as good as can be done with a two stage and still be safe. The next step is a Timney/Jard module type trigger at ~$200+.... :eek

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...on-kit-prod16652.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...s/ar15-m16-titanium-firing-pin-prod58269.aspx

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I may still have a spring kit here from wolf for the trigger. And I live a couple hours from the Greenville PSA shop so I'll probably just drive down there and pick it up. I can use it as a good reason to get out of town.

I see they have a 2lb trigger kit called hypertouch 24 but its not on sale and higher priced than a jard trigger kit by a ways. I'll do like normal, polish parts radius edges change springs see what I have.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

$312 is high for a complete lower, though I do love the S&W M&P-15 stripped lower I bought in 2009. I completed it with a DD LPK and BCM receiver extension/M4 stock/H buffer and came in a little over $300. Today you can do it cheaper with PSA.

Besides price, the real problem with the dealer's M&P-15 lower? You don't know for sure what LPK and other parts were used. If it's not original S&W he could have used anything in a stripped lower.

13. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Quentin You must have been jerked around by a crappy dealer ?? You say that 311.95 price is high priced ! Tell me where you see a M&P complete lower assembly cheaper than $311.95 if you would. And I still think I can get it just under 300 dollars. Yea psa Is lower at 179 but that sight un seen blemished unit that has to be shipped and fees adde locally. And for a new one at 239 it not a deal after shipping and ffl. I may be able to take my time an piece meal even cheaper lower assembly together . I am not it a rush.

Our dealer is not a rip off guy like you must have dealt with. Hes not even a gun guy, just man that owns a very busy general store that happen to sell guns all at a discounted price . The M&P sport I bought there a when they first came out and no one else could fine one remember?? He found one over night thru his s&w rep out west in a gun shop. He made a swap for a firearm the other guy wanted and still sold me the sport for 595 dollars . Yep , sound like a real rip off owner.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Sigman The Greenville store has a bunch of lower assembles still unless they got clean out since 5:30. But they might have. I just think since its sight unseen and knowing psa trigger suck worse than m&p I may see what my gen store will sell me the M&P for in the morn and decide to take my time and deside what to do. I may just piece meal one together all on sale.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wasn't ripped off, don't know where you got that. I'm just saying are you absolutely sure it's a complete factory S&W lower? (Or is it off your Sport, you're not easy to understand.) If not, can you tell S&W lower parts from DPMS, etc.? There are a lot of nice roll marks out there with crap parts installed. He may be a really nice guy but did he get the complete lower directly from S&W or a third party?

To me it doesn't matter, I choose my parts so I KNOW what went into my ARs.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Do I have to tell you again its ALL M&P. Not dealing with some BS gun shop that would make it from parts like you most have dealt with to even come up with that remark. Still waiting to see where you can buy a M&P lower assembly cheaper .

18. brettc

brettc New Member

if your happy buy it, if you don't like the opinions and want to trust your general store guy go right ahead. Won't find better info anywhere but here.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm glad you're happy with it. Occasionally S&W stripped lowers turn up for $130 or less. Which you finish with known quality parts for less than $300. Or you take a chance with a complete lower. However I suspect that the majority of "complete M&P-15 lowers" for sale are built up from stripped lowers. I'm trying to help you here so cool down. Have you looked to see if S&W's logo or any identifier is on the plastic stock? Milspec diameter receiver extension? Those would be strong indicators it's genuine. The lack of ... Yeah, you got it.

I came "up with that remark" because if you look around you'll see posts where people get stuck with things that aren't what they appear to be. Fakes, forgeries, or cheap builds. Even good shops don't catch all the problems. In the end, no one is looking out for you so you have to look out for yourself!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Turns out my local has 4 m&p new lower assemblies in boxs for s&w setting in there lockup. He would lower his price to 300 but even he said they don't offer the same price break as on complete firearms and a M&P sport now cost $630 . But after this bs I am ordering a Aero Percision stripped lower and upper and just have it shipped to the general store for 25 bucks.

sigman84 PSA has a pile of MOE blem lower assemblies for 179 but those butt head still want to charge 30 dollars shipping even if you walk in to pick it up. And I was going to. If delieved it would cost 245 in my hands after shipping and delievery. Not so much of a deal.

That's will be it for me and this tread. I go back to what I started to do. Build what I wanted to start .