Competitive shooting doesn't have to be expensive

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by sniper762, Apr 27, 2013.

1. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

A few years ago, while in the army, i was issued an m24 sws (sniper weapon system) to compete in the national sniper competitions.

i woud shoot local f-class competitions with it for practice. i scored on average 186 out of a possible 200 at 1000 yds and 194 out of a possible 200 at 600 yards. ( not too shabby but still not in the top 10)

the weapon ( an acurized remington 700 topped with a 10x leupold m3a scope) costs app. $6k. most of my fellow f-class competitors shot custom built rifles ( avg. costing $5k). so i built my own (with my limited budget).

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/MAUSER.jpg

Mauser .308 caliber bolt action rifle. I built this gun for long range shooting. I bought a unused Argentina 1935 action and fitted it with a Parker Hale 26 inch .308 bull barrel. It was pillar bedded and barrel free floated into a Bell and Carson composite stock. It has a Timney match trigger and is topped with a BSA mil-dot illuminated reticule 6-24 x 50mm scope. I used it to drop groundhogs at 500 yards and competed with it in several F-Class long range matches. It has zeroes for 100-1000 yards and is quite accurate. I have shot a 196 out of a possible 200 at 600 yards and a 184 out of 200 at 1000 using M852 Military Match ammo (total cost was app. $600 including the $100 scope)

i shot basically similar scores with my $600 rifle as i did with the $6,000 rifle in the f-class matches.

btw, my sniper team placed 9th place in 1997 and 6th in 2000 out of 37 teams at the national sniper competitions.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just proves a point i have made many times over the years. many times it's not just the rifle, but the person behind the trigger.

very impressive Sniper. good looking rig too. :D

3. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

very nice looking rig! well done! thanks for your service!

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck Yeager, a true American heroes was known to say, "it is the man, not the machine." I think this may be a good example.

I bet you gall some folks using a complete system that cost less then 1/4 of what their scopes cost.

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I bet that made some competitors mad.

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Oops double post.

7. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Very nice build, good job.

Jim

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have always believed that most guns are far more acurate then the people shooting them.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

You are 110% RIGHT but if you have the skill base or just pure talent, its a damn shame to be equipment limited. A great shooter can even compensate for bad equipment at modest ranges.

Example: I used to do some short order cooking in my younger days. Quality equipment makes producing excellent results a lot easier.

When I miss, I want to make damn sure its me and not the equipment.

PS: On occasion, sometimes even a low cost rifle leaves the manufacturers floor perfect.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I want to start shooting in competitions with my bone stock M1903..... I figure people 100 years ago could shoot 800-1000 yards with open sights, why cant I??? :)

11. jniedbalski

jniedbalski New Member

I have always wanted along rang riffle in 308 or similar caliber . I have thought about using a mouser action also because there cheep . Well not anymore . My next pick would be a Stevens or a savage action and then I could build my dream riffle . Nice riffle I like your set up i still haven't decided on mine to use a laminated or synthetic stock and also what custom brand barrel I want to use .