competition shooting bersa thunder 9 hc pro OR stoeger cougar 8000

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by chad2, Sep 29, 2010.

1. chad2

chad2 New Member

bersa vs. stoeger! i have heard so many people say that the stoeger cougar is extremely accurate! so why dosn't anyone use it in competitions? i mean what about the stoeger cougar makes it not good for competition?

then, there is the bersa thunder 9 hc pro, which i used bye a whole team that only shoots bersa. so i guess my question is, what makes the bersa better then the stoeger, is the bersa more accurate? is it because the bersa has a 4.2in barrel and the stoeger only has a 3.6in barrel? is it because bersa holds 17 rounds and the stoeger only holds 15? is it because of there triggers?

if so what about these guns makes the bersa better fot competition then the stoeger???????

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How many times are you going to ask the same question in different threads? You have the same thing in general handgun area.

What, you didn't like the answers there?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Exactly what competitions do you want to shoot?

If you're talking about IDPA, folks generally use their primary carry gun so either of these would be fine. Folks that shoot a lot tend to pick platforms that can withstand thousands of rounds a year, have parts that are readily available (and cheap), and have proven themselves to be worthy. I have nothing against either gun you're considering but they are not something folks consider when selecting a competition gun...

4. chad2

chad2 New Member

i am just getting everyones opinion and your answer is not an answer you gave an uneducated answer you have no excperience with these guns so how can you even say anything i am looking for people who have used these guns so thank you!

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ok dude. Insulting a Supporting Member isn't going to get you very far on this forum.

Bottom line is that both of the guns you keep harping on are cheap, entry level guns that wouldn't be anybody's first choice for competitions. And before you generate another snide reply, I have shot both of these guns and saw nothing special about either one...

6. chad2

chad2 New Member

so your saying for the simple fact that these guns dont have a huge aftermarket is the reason they are not used so much in comp

you are also saying reliability is an issue. did you know that stoeger cougar holds the nato world record of 30,000 rounds through it with no failures. meaning no other gun has bet it!

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Slow down, Chad. Dan knows what he is talking about and is well liked and respected around here. He was questioning how many threads you would post the same question in, nothing more.

Both of the guns you mention have a strong following. Perhaps you should ask who around here owns the specific models you are interested in, and then ask those guys if they use them in competition. Maybe?

I know a guy who shot a Browning Hi Power in competition. Problem was they all wore out after 11,000-14,000 rounds, so he went through 3 or 4 a year. And the BHP is one of the finest, most respected designs on the planet.

8. chad2

chad2 New Member

not insulting. voicing my opinion about his respones, i was told when i got on here that you need tough skin on this forum. well here goes.

9. danf_fl

Think about my answer in the other thread. A competition handgun receives more usage in a year than most people will put on one in a lifetime. The reason the Bersa or Cougar are not in the competition circles is because they will not hold up to such use.

You would have been better off with the Taurus.

My experience level includes IPSC matches in Europe, USPSA matches in the states, numerous trips to the range as a Certified Firearm instructor, and a part-time gunsmith. Get to my level of expertise, and I will have a conversation about guns with you.

10. chad2

chad2 New Member

look i got a little carried away i am sorry for that. i do have a question what do you think of the taurus?

i also like the taurus 809 way better then the stoeger or the bersa but i have heard a lot of bad things about them, like they are very hit and miss also a lot of people say that the 24/7 oss is good for comp but that gun has a comp barrel the 809 does not is the accuracy still good???? also what about replacement parts?

what do you think?

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

To get a gun that could stand up to competition shooting, you're going to have to look past Bersa, Stoeger, and Taurus. It's a fact that the quality control at Taurus is among the worst there is and getting a reliable gun is a total crapshoot. With guns, along with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you don't like my answer, I could really care less as folks have tried to help you and you choose not to listen...

12. chad2

chad2 New Member

holy crap lol i was not trying to put anyone down i am sorry i am listening to everyones answers. i am sorry everyone i was not trying to affend anyone.:(

13. danf_fl

Chad, There is a lot of experience here. No one will "flame" you if you ask first and heed our advice. We all have our preferences.

Didn't you have some deal made on a Taurus, and then tried to get something else? We could have helped you make an informed decision beforehand.

I am for the idea that you should get the best you can afford. On your choices, you should decide which will serve you best. Find out if someone in your area who can fix the Bersa or Cougar if it should break. Competition is tough on handguns. If you are serious, the way to practice is to try and wear the gun out. I have an old Springfield that I used, abused, rebuilt numerous times. When I was young and poorer, that was I had, but it worked for me. Over 7 years of shooting every weekend in some competition or another (plus practice).

14. chad2

chad2 New Member

wow that is a lot of shoothing and a lot of times to rebuild a gun i will probably be shooting about every other weekend.

the thing that really pushed me away from the taurus is the reliablilty. also the fact that the shop i was getting it from was selling it for 619 $ and i saw it online for 399. 220 $ less then the shop and that very same shop does ffl transfers for 110 dollars. so i am going to stay away from them lol

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Chad, there was a report of this thread, so I stopped by to see what was up. Looks like tensions have been eased and everyone is playing nice, so I am not worried as Dan is knowledgable and is steering you right.

However, I have to know, because I am curious: What kind of "Competition Shooting" are we talking about?

I work in a gun shop part time, well to be honest I hang out there and listen a lot which allows me a chance to play with a lot of weapons. :D

But when pistol competition comes up, people are almost always talking about "Race Guns" which is a level of pistol FAR BEYOND what an average production pistol comes equipped with.

Can you shed a little more light for me here?

JD

16. chad2

chad2 New Member

well i just heard that 5 time winner of IDPA david olhasso uses a stoeger cougar

and that is what i would like to get into i dont know much about the other comps out there. IDPA seems to fit my wants the most :D

i have also heard that he has made his cougar into a pretty good race gun.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Like I said in a previous post - I answered this on page 1 of the thread

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Mea Culpa! Easy bro, I was trying to help, not step on any toes. :eek:

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No worries JD, I was just showing the OP that his question had been answered and for some reason the answer was ignored...

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, "making" a race gun is a step that is for BIG pocket books. If you see guys winning mad competitions, even with what appears to be a "normal" looking weapon, you might be surprised.

Unless that weapon has been checked, mic'd and tested for things like spring strength and firing pin weight, it "might" just have had someone tinkering with it. :cool:

Do you have it on good authority that this guy uses a bone stock Cougar? Or did you hear it from someone?

The reason I ask is this:

We have a customer of the shop who is a serious 600 yard benchrest guy. He travels to matches all over the place and he places in a lot of them that he doesn't outright win.

A barrel company has agreed to pay him a "competition fee" for using their barrel on his gun, which he does. But before this "agreement" was reached, he used another type of barrel altogether.

Just food for thought. ;)