Competition shoot

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by JOLLEY25, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JOLLEY25

JOLLEY25 New Member

Device for competition shooting? And how to get into it?

2. jamesb

jamesb New Member

What device? Not really sure what your questions are. Be a bit more specific. What type of competitions are you considering?

3. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

You absolutely need a cool hat.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

No, you need a fishing vest

5. JOLLEY25

JOLLEY25 New Member

Pistol shooting and 3 gun competition.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Honestly, you're being so vague, its nearly impossible to help you.

You should research this on your own to decide what class you'll be shooting. When you decide that, you should them know what you'll need.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Really, are you talking holsters, timers, belts, mag holders, smithing and repair parts and tools....

What? These people need to know exactly what your talking about to be about to help you. A "device" for competition could even include a vehicle to ride to the competition in. Narrow it down a bit and these people WILL help you out. They're generally a pretty friendly and helpful bunch.

8. JOLLEY25

JOLLEY25 New Member

Sorry let's try ADVICE maybe that will clear it up.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Lol! Yeah that does clear it up quite a bit!

I don't shoot competitively, but, when I decide to take that step, the first thing I'm going to do is go watch a few shoots to get the idea of how they go.

10. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I shoot in local plate matches and plan to get into Steel challenge when time permits. As for advice for pistol competitions:

Get a pistol that you are able to compete with, run it well, and are familiar with. Then practice as much as you can. Dry fire, target aquisition, start slow and gradually increase speed. A shot timer helps to see what you are doing overall. Shooting thousands of rounds will help more than buying a $4k gun and not practicing much.

11. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

Did you mean "advise"? Assuming so . . . . go to uspsa.org

You can download the rule book without being a USPSA member. You can also find clubs in your area, on the site. You do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot at level I matches. But, you better know the rules.

If USPSA looks interesting to you, I'll do everything I can to help you out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  12. apowers1214

apowers1214 New Member

I agree with jamesb. I watched a few matches first then got a trusted handgun and a shooting belt with mag holders and holster cost me about $120. Practice practice practice. I setup a dry fire drill area in my basement and do drills for about 30-1:00 a night. You can download the steel stages just by googling them. I got and practice once a week at my range even if it is with my .22 to help with muscle memory.

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Can u win decent money doing this

14. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

Short answer . . . no.

At a Level II match a division winner may go home with a new gun.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

A gent wanted to compete in revolver bowling pins and he didn't have unlimited amts of ammo to do it. He bought a 22 revolver as close to his competition piece as possible and set up beer cans at same range pins would be. Fired a few bricks (Brick = 500 rd bulk pack)

Premise: smaller tgts caused him to concentrate more and while recoil mgt was lacking, it maximized shooting time & practice makes perfect.

Result : he won his local competition. (the pins looked Huge after the cans)

Best Advice : Watch a few matches, notice what competitors are using & politely ask questions. Hopefully, they will let you try their rigs on a stage or two to see what "works" for you. Don't just sit on the sidelines - Participate !!! Gun people are extremely generous and will often loan you a rig so you can join in the fun.

My .02 - 1911s can be modified to excel in any competition. ( SA 5.25 - 2nd choice, is ready to go right out of the box in major & minor calibers.) Rob Letham might know a thing or two about action shooting...:D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012