Competition pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cblowe13, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

If you had to choose a competition 9mm between these two which would it be glock 34, xdm 5.25?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Ehh I'm sure my opinion isn't valued as I haven't shot either specific gun you listed but I wanted something controversial for my 700th post so here goes: I hate Glock so my vote is for the XDm.

3. Kraj

Kraj New Member

What competition? I use my g35 for limited division in uspsa and it works really well for me. I vote glock

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Idpa and is that the same frame as the 22?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Between the two offered, the XDm.
    Otherwise, a 1911 platform.

6. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Does your race gun have to remain stock, or is any custom work allowed...? Which one are the other kids mostly using for that specific competition...? I use a a P95 for pure stock fast 15, And have a modified SR9 for the open class.

7. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Custom work is allowed. I've seen everything, you name it I've seen it. I've actually never competed though just watched some. What's modified on the sr9? And what 1911 in 9mm would you use Dan?

8. danf_fl

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

So I had a guy I knew bragging about placing in a competition, he used a .40 he was talking about how he was so good considering mostly everyone using 9mm. So if you use .40 your points are scored alot higher?

10. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Glock 34 with Warren Tactical Sevigny F/O sights or an Argyle Armoring Comp 1 Setup.

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Your misses are scored lower in Major power factor. An Alpha with a 9mm is scored the same as an Alpha with a 40/45. It's the Charlie, Delta and Mikes that hurt your when shooting Minor (9mm). So if you shoot 9mm in competition, make sure you hit every Alpha. Accuracy is more important than speed. Remember, "You can't miss fast enough".

12. Kraj

Kraj New Member

It depends on what class you shoot. I think stock service pistol is all minor scoring. Go on YouTube and look up powerfactorshow. They have some great shows explaining what pistols for what games.

13. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

A couple of years ago, I got a wild hair up my arse and had resources to buy an XDM 9mm, Glock 35 and a S&W Pro Series in 40 S&W in very short order. Out of the Box, the Smith is my favorite by far...best trigger out of box and I rate the Glock and XDM as almost virtual ties and like them both very much. I lean towards the glock and will likely get a trigger job on it someday soon so if I had to pick one...I would keep my Glock. Having said that, for a nightstand gun, the XDM holds 19 rounds of 9mm and that is really a good thing for a self-defense gun.

Attached Files:

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

One of the reason people choose 40 instead of 9 for IDPA is it is easier to reach power factor. You simply multiply the weight of the bullet by the fps and you get the power factor. Guys often choose the 40 because they can hand load a heavy bullet with a slow fps with equals low recoil. I often shoot a 255 grain bullet in CDP. I push it about 725-750 fps. That is well over the required power factor. But it is not a heavy recoiling round. Follow up shots are very quick.

15. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Anything but Glock.

16. danf_fl

Competing in any sport has a lot to do with mind games and using every advantage you can get.
    This is not saying that I condone cheating (except in self-defense.)

17. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

One thing about a 9mm over a 45 is the lock time. Lock time from trigger pull to loaded and ready is faster with the 9mm.

18. danf_fl

Lock time to a beginner is a non-factor.

Most beginners have enough to worry about than lock time. And at the rate most beginners shoot, why would that matter?

Go for the most points and remember that a miss cannot be made up for.

19. danf_fl

20. DenverSteve

DenverSteve New Member

Between those two, the Glock is built for competition. That would be the choice.